Sunday, September 21, 2008

Biting the hand that used to feed him

Where do I begin my discussion about the Bears? The tailgating was a lot of fun with my buddy/client TZ. The usual characters were in the seats around me: Gar, D and Russell in the row in front of me (Jason had to sell his ticket to pay for gas for his H3 Hummer), Roger and Bret to my right and Doug, Doug Jr., another Doug-boy and daughter Doug. A good part of why I like going to the games so much are the people who sit around me are so much fun. They don't all come out to the pre-season games, so the home opener was the first time this year that we've all been at the game together.

So everything AROUND the game was great fun. Even the first three and a half quarters of the game, while the Bears were winning by 10, were great fun. Then the Tampa Bay Bucanneers rattled off 10 straight points to send the game into overtime. Even in OT we were in good shape after stopping the Bucs around their own 15 to force them to punt. Unfortunately, Peanut Tillman decided to get into a fight with one of the Buccaneers and got flagged for a 15 yard personal foul penalty and automatic first down. That provided the impetus for them marching down the field to kick the winning field goal.

Oh and just to make matters worse, the quarterback for Tampa is Brian Griese, the guy who should have been our starting QB all of last year and should have been resigned for this year. Unbelievable.

It was very disappointing. We could easily be 3-0, but instead we're 1-2. I'm too distraught to write about it anymore, so I'll change topics.

Here are some pictures from the weekend. Unfortunately, no good action shots. Next week I'm going back down to Orlando, but won't be on the Disney complex. Unfortunately we only had one game at Disney this year. With 250 teams, they held games at five complexes in the area.




This organization was USSSA....United States Softball.....something...Association.











This is the most overpriced cafe I think I've ever ate at. Close to it at least...which I guess shouldn't be a big surprise considering it's Disney.










Sunset over the entrance gates to Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex.













Just a cool picture, I thought, outside the complex.











This is the long trek back to the Hess Fields. The fields are sponored by the Hess Oil company.













Looking back at the Wide World of Sports buildings from the Hess fields.

5 comments:

alexis said...

ohhhh looks nice and warm!

stef said...

Bummer that you had to leave so soon. I was actually at a friends house watching the game and kept saying you were probably having a great time. Until the end came....

Anonymous said...

Whoa, time out. "Brian Greise, the guy who should have been our starting QB all of last year"?

Let's turn the clock back to October 29, 2007, when Joe wrote:

I do think that Griese read too much of his press clippings this week though after winning offensive player of the week last week. Instead of managing the game, he tried to do too much and win the game instead of just not lose it. If just the endzone interceptions are turned into field goals, the resulting 9 points would have tied the score.

What I'd like to see is Orton named starting QB now. Why? Grossman isn't the guy, we all know that. Griese isn't the long term guy either; we all know that too. So why not see what Orton can do with a reasonable amount of talent around him on offense? At 3-5 now, you really have nothing to lose this year. Making the change now gives him an extra week to practice with the bye week off.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I knew electronically documenting my thoughts would come back to haunt me! Actually, what I wrote last year made sense. Unfortunately, the Bears didn't follow either direction: stick with Griese or change to Orton. They opted for Grossman until the last three games of the year after benching Griese during the bye week.

Griese shouldn't have beaten us yesterday because he should still be on our roster. Going into this year with he and Orton would have been the wise move.

Anonymous said...

...and with Buffalo winning and being 3-0 I have to put up with sINl Tim's ragging too.