Thursday, June 19, 2008

Writing from the road

I'm at a Radisson in Grand Rapids Michigan writing my blog at 1 a.m. The trip to see my folks at their Michigan home is about 6 hours, plus you lose an hour on the way there. So IF I wanted to drive the six hours in one shot by myself, I'd have to leave by 4. That's certainly possible, but the driving position really aggravates my shoulders (mild bursitis). Soooo, I opted to drive half way, get a room in Grand Rapids, visit my buddy's bar (The Hopcat) and have a relaxed 3 hour drive in the morning. The last three hours is on smaller highways and some small towns, so I don't like to drive that part if I'm tired or might be tired.

So this Radisson is pretty nice and it's about 5 minutes from Hopcat. Unfortunately my buddy is in Boston, but he'll be back for my return trip. I know his wife as well, but couldn't reach her before heading up here. There was a question about whether I was going to come up here or go to Minnesota for a softball tournament. Fortunately the team didn't need me on Friday, the only reason I would go was to prevent a forfeit, as they had just enough people.

Instead of softball, I'm going to play my favorite golf course I've played: Treetops in Gaylord Michigan. Yeah, start in with the jokes. The truth is, The Masterpiece is an awesome course. Poster Drydock played it earlier this year and he can vouch for my opinion. They actually hold a pro shoot-out on their par 3 course, called Threetops, which I made the mistake of playing once. UnGodly greens that almost come to a point and then run off into the water. I think I shot higher on the 9 par 3's than I did on 18 regular holes!!! Anyway, that's on the agenda for Saturday. Should be fun.

3 comments:

stef said...

sounds like the start of a beautiful weekend. Looking forward to the golf pics!:)

Anonymous said...

That 3 par course, was hysterical to play. I remember just standing at each tee looking out into the mass of bunkers thinking "Oh my God, more swearing by Joe!!" ;-)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thank goodness I didn't play that par 3 course again!! Holy crap did that suck! Good times....