Monday, June 16, 2008

Doing what the wife wants.

What?? Did Joe get married over the weekend? Maybe to a Bandit girl? Nope. Not even dating anyone!! But on Sunday, when we lost in our tournament early, I came home all jacked up with nothing really to do. So, I: did laundry, cooked "Linner" (that time between lunch and dinner), ironed, vacuumed and took down those glass light shades around my ceiling fans and stuck them in the dishwasher, cleaned them and hung them back up.......all stuff my wife would have asked me to do if I had one. Even on Father's Day. But I don't have one, so I'm left to badgering myself. :-)

So that was Sunday. Today I had my last guitar class in my second session. As you recall, we were playing the Brandi Carlile song, Turpentine. We did a pretty darn good job up on stage. One of the highlights was Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls put on by Guitar 3. I sang almost as loud for them as I did for my own song!!

Speaking of singing, I don't think I mentioned that I belted out the Canadian National Anthem at the Bandits game on Saturday. The two guys on my team near me at the time were very embarrassed and really didn't know what to do with themselves. I think they were mostly concerned that I was the only person on our side of the stadium who was singing! C'mon, I grew up in Detroit watching Hockey Night in Canada. I know their anthem almost as well as ours!! Speaking of which, they had someone with a microphone singing the Canadian anthem, but didn't have anyone singing OUR anthem. How messed up is that? My teammates weren't as embarrassed about me singing our anthem.

8 comments:

alexis said...

dude, let CANADA sing for CANADA. You know you can't get too close to them, we're gonna have to invade them for their oil inevitably.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they were just embarrassed about the singing? Think Ricardo and I need to take you to a Karaoke.

stef said...

That's your next Podolny Group networking event- national anthem karaoke.

Anonymous said...

So, Joe -- going on to Guitar 2 now? Thr F chord awaits. I found it my first really difficult part (even though they teach you a "cheater" F it is still barring 2 strings). Staying with Elaine?

I had a Beatles Ensemble gig for Fathers Day down at the Merchandise Mart for the 5k run for Childrens' Memorial. It would've been great, but it rained. A small group of us played inside the Mart, though. We have our final "graduation" gig Friday night at the Hidden Cove -- should be fun.

Then we move on to the second part of the White Album (Birthday, Helter Skelter, Revolution). I'm also going to join the Lunar Ensemble (temporarily) because they are playing the Eagles.

Anyway, we out to connect soon.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I sing just FINE thank you very much!!

DJF, I'm going to retake 1 rep for now. I think one more time through would do me some good while I practice more. Then on to Guitar 2 in two months. Unfortunately Elaine is not teaching 1 rep or 2 on Mondays, so I have to go with a new teacher. There were two that were listed but only one class, so we'll see what happens.

I'm going to have to get out and see you play soon. And we should definitely hook up soon!

Anonymous said...

If you had signed up before today, you would've gotten a discount.

Anyway, looking at the 1rep selections --

Cathy Norden (Monday) is good. I've only had her last summer in a Heart class, but she's quite nice and I think she'd be a good teacher for you. You probably have seen her in some Second Halfs.

Bob Goins (Monday) is ok, but (a) he's not as good as Cathy IMO and (b) he's at Armitage.

Rebecca Toon (Monday) -- she's subbed in for a few of my instructors, but I haven't had her in a full 8-week course. I don't know about her.

Mary Peterson (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) -- I had her for Guitar 2. She's quite nice, but I thought she didn't take control of the class enough. (We had about 20 people and there was a lot of extra chit-chat that she should've stopped). She's not a bad teacher, though.

Dan Fulkerson (Tuesday) -- I had him for Guitar 1 and thought he was ok, but spent too much time socializing rather than teaching. I may take him again down the road, though, because he plays a lot of music I like. He's at the Armitage location, though.

Mark Dvorak (Tuesday) -- I don't know him very well, other than seeing him play at a few Second Halfs. My impression is that he'll play more folk music than others.

Chris Walz (Wednesday) -- Ditto.

Given these choices, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Cathy Norden. If you can't get her and need to go Monday, Bob Goins isn't bad. If you can go another night, Mary Peterson is a third choice.

I'll be playing on Monday (Lunar Ensemble/Eagels) and Wednesdays (Beatles).

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thanks for the reviews DJF! I signed up last week and did indeed get the discount. The two teachers that are listed for the class when I signed up were Toon and Norden. Guess they weren't sure which would be doing it or if they might have enough for BOTH to teach. We'll see. It will be interesting if nothing else!

Look at you playing away!! Nicely done. Maybe this will be your new career??

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Joe. I like to play, but I'm not that good. I still need a music stand on stage (though I have memorized some songs, like Back in the USSR and Blackbird).

Down the road, I'd like to take more bass lessons, but I've heard that the classes aren't so hot (which is part of the reason why I went to the ensembles in the first place).