Saturday, June 14, 2008

Friday and Saturday

Thursday, my credit card company did something they've never done before: they notified me of unusual charges on my credit card. They sent me an email as well as called me and asked me to verify the last five or so transactions. I had purchased some softball equipment for our team, a new air conditioner to replace my thirty year old one which finally died last year and......my brand new 46" LCD television!! Yep, I've finally replaced the tv I gave my parents that was in my living room. Or at least I will have when it's delivered on Monday. Happy day for Joe!!!

Friday was a charity golf outing for a school on the northwest side of Chicago. Here's our gruesome foursome.


That's me on the left, Wild Bill, Rugby Jeff and Ricardo. We played a four man scramble and only shot par. Ugh. It was supposed to rain on us and I had my rain gear. Dark clouds dominated the entire day. Somehow I still ended up getting sunburn. Yes, you can get sunburn on cloudy days, just like they always say, but this was like thunderstorm dark clouds!! I just couldn't bring myself to putting sunscreen on while I was keeping my umbrella close. Dummy.





So Saturday morning I showed up for softball in Crystal Lake sporting a little more "team red" than normal. We had two games scheduled, win or lose. We won our first game 4-3, I think, or something like that, with no thanks to me. I led off and was 0-2 with two bad at bats before getting benched. With 14 guys, the leash is short on poor performance.

In our second game, I was back on the field playing third and later first base, but batting last in the order. I struggled again going 0-2 through 6 innings. In the seventh, with the team trailing 8-6 having scored two runs already, I came up to bat with runners on first and second, two outs and our best hitter of the day on deck. I singled to right field, scoring the runner on second and both the runner on first and I moved up a base when the throw from the outfield got away from the second baseman. Unfortunately, with the score now 8-7, they opted to walk the next hitter since first base was open. Our next hitter looped a ball to short left which their shortstop grabbed to end the game. Damn, an 8-7 loss. That's going to make for a long Sunday.

Tomorrow, Saturday night's events and what happened Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ricardo plays golf? First the White Sox, now golf...I tell you Armageddon is around the corner.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh yeah, he's been golfing for a few years now. What he did on Friday wasn't really golf though.