Thursday, June 12, 2008

Pretty exhausing workout

Today I was sore in all sorts of new places after my workout with Sadist Joel yesterday. One of the new exercises he had me do is pictured below. They are called front squats.


And no, that's not me. You start with the bar in the position it's in, but you're standing up. Then you squat really low like he is. Do that 5-10 times, throw some more weight on and do it again. Rinse, repeat.





One of the other things Joel had me doing is running up these stairs, a flight of ten and a flight of five after that, as fast as possible. I can use the rail, jump down an entire flight if I want, whatever. Just be as fast as possible and go up and down the two flights five times. To motivate me, he told me about a woman who did it in X amount of time. It was a little psychology by ol'Joel. Unfortunately for him, I've been going on eHarmony dates for a year so I know all about psychology. After explaining to him that I compete only against myself and that if a woman can do it faster than me, God lover her, he opted for another approach. Actually it was the same approach but describing a nonathletic, slightly overweight guy. Again, really could care less. The only thing getting me up and down those stairs is MY desire to be in better shape. That's enough.

7 comments:

Desiree said...

Joe -- I know what you mean, I'm my own biggest competitor. But, you can certainly light a fire under me if you told me that so-and-so softball chick can do something better than me, particularly if I don't believe so...

alexis said...

that speaks of a lot of character! That is something I have been working on a lot this year - focusing on not comparing myself to others.

Anonymous said...

God my knees are screaming out just looking at that posture and hearing the exercise.

I know you are motivated by the highest self-desires but as one who is being forced to do things in their own time...please remember you are not 20 and don't over do things.

stef said...

The hand position looks like it would be hard on the old wrists there.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Look how observant you are Stef!! Yep, it does stretch out the wrists significantly. I wasn't excited about that part of the exercise. It's amazing how relatively easy it is to support the weight in the position though......at least compared to what it looks like.

Anonymous said...

Those are fun, aren't they? You know Joe, you are really motivating me to get in the gym and when I don't you are really making me feel like a wuss.

Cheers to you though man!! Good stuff.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thanks Tim! If I can motivate ANYONE about ANYTHING, I'm happy to be a part of it. I tell you though, Joel just might actually kill me at some point during one of these workouts.