Saturday, June 07, 2008

Ticket Broker Joe

Friday ended up being a busy, crazy day, stemming in part from Thursday. Actually, it was Thursday night that caused the problems. I attended a charity fund raising event held by the wonderful ladies of Reach Out in support of Family Rescue, the main charity that I support. T-Rex Tim met me there and had a good time winning the raffle prizes as usual (good karma with their raffles!).

Four tickets to the Friday night White Sox game were up for auction, but seeing as the game was the next day and both R.E.M. and James Taylor were in town, there wasn't much bidding. In fact, there was none. So then they were going to lower the minimum bid and I jumped in and bought them before they did. With tickets and a parking pass, I figured I'd be able to find SOMEONE to go. It took some doing on Friday, but I finally did: friends of periodic poster Dog Brian in fact. A very nice family of four who are big Sox fans. The only thing, I had to get them the tickets now.

Meanwhile, the client whom Ricardo and I decided to give our extra two tickets to R.E.M. was having trouble finding a baby sitter and was thinking about backing out. So my search for two takers of those tickets began as well!!

After shooting that email off, I headed downtown to meet the Sox ticket takers for lunch (which they bought me so that was nice). We ate outside Millennium Park on the site of the outdoor skating rink in the winter. It's very nice!! Albeit a bit expensive.

Back on the train for a 1:30 conference call with el supremo and Ricardo regarding a client.

Message from client: babysitter was found! He's taking the tickets again! We're to meet at 5:30 at a bar on Madison on the way to The United Center.

After getting on my conference call 20 minutes late due to train-line construction, our conversation led to another phone call and we didn't finish until about 3. I needed to get a workout in and then head down to meet the client still!

It all worked out though. The ticket hand-off was made (the client bought me beer and a light dinner!) and I hooked up with the 5 people with whom I was going to the concert, including Ricardo's wife (Ricardo was in WI for the weekend).

Now for the concert. The first 12 songs I had never heard before in my life. Never. In fact, of the five people with me, only two people had heard any of the first 12 (they knew 2). Of the 25 song set, I had heard 5 before. Five freaking songs. Ugh. Just as an FYI, here are some of the R.E.M. songs I have downloaded:

Everybody Hurts
I am Superman
It's the end of the world as we know it
Hold on
Man on the moon
Shiny happy people
Stand
Fall on me

They only played three of those. There were two others that I knew, I think,that they played but I don't have downloaded. Just a reminder to NOT go see bands that have new albums out. Springsteen was the same way.

5 comments:

Desiree said...

Joe, I have to take offence with the end of this post! Ya wanna see a nostalgia act, go see The Beach Boys at Ravinia or Barry Manilow! I don't know about REM's new record (although by all accounts it's supposed to be much better than other recent things), but you should know that Bruce's new record is absolutely rocking. Friends who are non-crazies like me have loved it from going to the "Magic" show and gone out to get it -- which is, of course, the point of artists touring. I do agree that it seems lots of the guys who've been around put out records just for vanity purposes or just cos, but Bruce continues to make stuff that not only sounds good, are completely relevant and is still pretty damned good. This blog comment brought to you by a 25-show Springsteen veteran, soon to be in 26 for the first time outside the US in Brussels, Belgium.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Duly noted Des. It was more of a statement for me to follow than an indictment on the Boss (who I know you love!!). I just need to avoid concerts when artists have new records out. I don't go that often, but this year have seen three and only The Police were really enjoyable for me because they didn't have a new album out.

Desiree said...

I forgive you, Joe -- I understand not everyone goes to a show for the same reasons as everyone else. But ya know, kudos to the guys who try to remain relevant and current. :)

alexis said...

wait, someone is coming out to Belgium? That's next door! Des you should come up to Amsterdam 1 evening! If I am in town we can get a drink!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think you go out of your way to make your life complicated...either that or your are living proof that no good deed goes unpunished.