Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Anti-Dick Tracy Entry

We had some snow on New Year's Eve and here are some pics from out my window.







I just love how all the branches are covered.























Yesterday was filled with football, as it should be, and I was over at MWrigley's so I didn't have a chance to post. Briefly, the games did not have my desired outcomes for the most part. Wisconsin was the early game against Tennessee and they lost in a close one. I tend to cheer for the Big 10 unless it's Ohio State, so I wanted Wisconsin to win. Then Michigan was up and beat Florida by three, but the game wasn't really that close. The Michigan running back fumbled twice at the goal line and lost both fumbles. Illinois was up next in the Rose Bowl. They got smoked by possibly the best team in the country, USC. Finally, the last game of the day pitted the 12-0 Warriors of Hawaii against Georgia. Except for having UGA VI as their mascot, a great looking bulldog, I have no reason to cheer for Georgia. Unfortunately, they smoked Hawaii, so I was 1-3 on cheering for teams. Boooo.

On another channel was an outdoor NHL game. Buffalo played Pittsburgh in front of 71,000 cold fans. Unfortunately I didn't watch the game, but I heard it was pretty cool to see. Plus it snowed during the game!!

Big epiphany for me on New Year's Day by the way: I've decided to actually watch the Rose Bowl Parade from now on. All of the visible parts of the float have to be made with organic material. It's really freaking amazing what they do. I've hated parades ever since having to march in a Memorial Day parade as a kid when it was raining and 40 degrees out and have avoided them like the plague ever since. The Rose Bowl Parade could help me turn the corner though.

A no smoking law went into place yesterday in all bars, restaurants and public work places. I'm VERY HAPPY!!! Couldn't be happier in fact. No more having to wash everything I wore out to dinner or to a bar just to get rid of the smokey smell. Ugh.

I thought I mentioned this before, but I haven't been able to find my entry about it, but for those of you who read the comics you probably already know that the Dick Tracy situation is completely out of control at this point. He went into a "haunted house" a few days before Halloween and as of yesterday it's still just the day AFTER Halloween. It's two months later and all they wrote about was one freaking night when nothing really happened. I might start a grass roots movement to have it removed from the Tribune. Who is with me??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think the Trib is awash with useless comics; Dick Tracey, Mary Worth, Brenda Star -- put a stake in the heart of these so newer, fresher comic strip artists.

Watching the Rose Parade! First it's going to French restaurants, then it's cooking, now this -- this is just the latest representation of your total loss of street cred.

alexis said...

parade, as in with big floaty balloon figures? How more 'street' can you get than that?

stef said...

I second you on the smoking law- huzzah! Now I will no longer have to go to LA or NYC to enjoy a smoke-free evening. My hair rejoices.