Wednesday, January 16, 2008

That Messenger is FAST!

NASA's Messenger spacecraft flew within 124 miles of the planet Mercury and will do a flyby three times while it attempts to get into orbit. Now, according to Wikipedia, Mercury is anywhere from 48 million miles and 138 million miles from Earth. Messenger was launched 8/3/2004 and one source indicated that it flew 91 million miles. So using some simple math with these inputs: the days between the launch and now (1,260 days) and the distance traveled (91 million miles), you can calculate that the vehicle traveled 72,222 miles a day or 3,009 miles per hour, 50 miles a minute. That's pretty quick!

Made a big switch today. I decided to go with skim milk in my coffee instead of a mixture of skim and whole milk (which translates into 2%). I'm not sure I'll be able to go this route, but I'm giving it a shot. Little changes like this really add up over a year, so I encourage you to do something similar. Maybe replace one can of coke with a diet coke or even a glass of water or cup of hot tea. The changes are pretty dramatic over time.

7 comments:

alexis said...

hrm, I am making little switches, but in the wrong direction I think. one bottle to two bottles wine over dinner.

Anonymous said...

I found the information on Mercury in the Messenger press releases itself extremely fascinating.

I was kind of thinking along the lines of Alexis too with the switcheroo thing but then I read your post again and I gathered that wasn't the direction you were really trying to promote.

Anonymous said...

Don't substitute Diet for Regular, it's even worse for you!Substitute a bottle of water for coke! I'm trying it and believe me I had no idea caffine was so addictive! BTW Lakeview hubby started Chantix pills this week to stop smoking and by golly, I do believe they are working!cross your fingers for him!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Worse is all relative bee! The calories saved by switching to Diet soda can save you 5 pounds a year in calories. Definitely water is better though, but some people (like me) need caffeine.

Chantix pills....I'm going to have to look that one up. Anything to help people stop smoking if good by me!!

Anonymous said...

I vote for Alexis! I'm unfortunately going in Joe's direction with my sobriety-filled January. Boo!

btw - lakeview and el supremo - There appers to be a new restaurant in the location of Scylla

Michelle Strbich said...

I thought you might all find this interesting, since the topic mr. joe brought up was cutting back in baby steps... the book "Easier Than You Think" The Small Changes that Add up to a World of Diffrence by Richard Carlson, PhD.

He's the person who wrote "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff." On that note, I bought skim milke today that was only 80 calories a glass instead of the usual 90 calories. :)

- Michelle the Motivator

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thanks Michelle! Those skinny lattes are pretty freaking good!