Sunday, January 13, 2008

A little, very little, introspection.

It may appear that I didn't have a post yesterday, but that didn't mean I wasn't working on my blog. The pictures I posted on Friday weren't showing up anymore so I had to delete the images and repost them. That involved copying them from the source email to my hard drive and then uploading them from there to my blog. Unfortunately you can only upload something like 5 pictures at a time and it's not particularly quick. So I spent the better part of an hour or so yesterday just to get that posting updated and formated. You better enjoy it!!!

Though the regular season is over for football, I joined a playoff fantasy football pool with a buddy and he and I and another guy bet $100 each. There are a bunch of rules about changing players and such(which I'll spare you), but the upshot is that yesterday I could hardly have had better stats. I had the best QB, Brady, the best RB, Grant of Green Bay, the best WR, Jennings of Green Bay, and probably the second best WR in Welker of New England. And I still have one running back, a tight end and my defense to play today! Very exciting for me. Which made me think why?

It's not the money....I could really care less. It's not that I want to thump these two guys I'm competing against, because they are pretty nice guys and I enjoy hanging with them. The nature of the rules allows for a lot of combinations of players and one isn't obviously better than the others prior to game time. You have to make tradeoffs. If you want the "best" QB, you're going to have to take someone lesser at RB or WR or K or Defense. I probably went through 5-7 combinations of players before settling on the one I used.

And there is an added twist with the league which I will tell you about. You can only change four of your eight players after this week and then only two of your players prior to the Super Bowl, so you need to make all of your decisions with the end game of having a full squad playing in the Super Bowl.

So with all of that going on, I made some pretty outstanding selections. If one of my buddies did better than I did this weekend, God love them. I was very happy with the decisions I've made after a very thoughtful process and THAT'S why I'm excited about the competition.

1 comment:

alexis said...

games, we all love games. I find it interesting that guys especially are fond of them. I think it's modern-hunting substitute.