Monday, January 07, 2008

Cleaning house and owning up

Even though the weather was so nice on Sunday evening, I opted to clean out my closets and drawers....a little spring clinging in the winter if you may. Of course, I was watching the football games, so I had reason to stay in. I'd have to say, I was pretty productive. Here are some pics:









Here it all is: 9 bags of clothes and other stuff including a bag of curtains and two pairs of shoes.













In addition to those clothes, I had 5-6 coats that decided to get rid of. This one on top is a classic and I'm sure it will fetch a pretty penny. Click on the picture and blow it up to see why it's valuable. (Hint: I may be the last member.)





Here are the funds that I recommended last year and how they did in 2007. The last entry is the S&P 500, which returned 5.5% in '07, slightly better than a money market account.

Weitz Hickory WEHIX (-13.1%)
Dodge and Cox International Stock Fund DODFX +11.7%
Dodge and Cox Income DODIX +4.7%
Mairs and Power Balanced MAPOX +4.3%
Mairs and Power Growth MPGFX +4.9%
Stratton Small-Cap Value STSCX (-2.02%)
Oakmark Select I OAKLX (-14.04%)
Oakmark I OAKMX (-3.6%)
Oakmark Equity & Income I OAKBX +12%
S&P 500 5.49%

As you can see I had some double digit gainers and double digit losers. In 2008, I'd still recommend almost all of them. The only iffy fund is the Oakmark Select fund. They had a large exposure to Washington Mutual and some other bank stocks associated with the sub prime mortgage fiasco. It's a good time to buy the fund, but not everyone is up for that kind of concentrated risk.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A disappointing year for Stratton Small Cap Value. We'll do our best to make 2008 a much better year. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jerry Van Horn
Portfolio Manager
Stratton Small Cap Value Fund

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Your organization has earned a portion of my own money Jerry, so it's easy for me to recommend. Thanks for posting and we look forward to better returns in 2008.

Anonymous said...

Mean there may be space to actually hang something in the guest closet?

Cool

alexis said...

I still can't make out the label - what is soooo special about this coat?

Personally I am fully invested in totally overheated int'l markets. I am hoping to bail before my return sinks below 10% in case of melt-down.

Ken said...

Stratton Small-Cap wasn't great for me - Real Estate hurt even more:( Lets hope for a better 08!

How many pairs of pleated khakis are in those bags? ;~)

stef said...

ken- hee hee on the khakis!

Joe- you've got to sell that Member's Only on Ebay. Don't you know they're totally making a comeback? Especially with the hip rapping kids. (See Lupe Fiasco)