Thursday, January 03, 2008

Resolutions....how I hate them.

First, it's mo-fo cold here in Chicago. -3 this morning.....damn. This weekend though it's supposed to be 55 for a high!! Sweet.

For the new year, I'm resolving to get a better cell phone and plan. Currently and for the last several years, I've been on a pay as you go plan with Virgin Mobile. It's been fine since I was only using it for emergencies or quasi-emergencies. On average it was costing me about $15 a month originally, but then went to about $30 a month and was there for about a year or so. Now though, with the advent of coordinating with MWrigley and because of work, it's gone to somewhere between $65 and $95 a month. So it's time to get a new plan and a new phone. I'd love to hear about your phone and plan. Do you like either? Hate either? Both are good pieces of information to have. Right now I'm looking at a Blackberry, either the Curve or the 8800 series. Thoughts?

Regarding resolutions, I normally don't make them or believe in them. You should make improvements to your life throughout the year or whenever possible. However, it'll make useful blog material in a year! That said, here are some other resolutions:

I resolve to keep my weight under 200 lbs., preferably in the low 190's.

I resolve to get new carpeting in the basement and solve, to the best of my abilities, the flooding issue. This will be quite a challenge!!

I resolve to have my guest bathroom completed by the 4th of July. It's only been....oh....13 years.

I resolve to take at least one vacation to a warm place and one vacation when it's warm up here.

That's about it....I don't want to make too many resolutions and then not do them!

7 comments:

alexis said...

my only comment is tell me what you find out about the crackberry, they've threatened me with one. Probably some old poo model though.

We text a lot more here in Europe so I have a different take on actual plans. do they make you sign up for 2 years in the US too?

Anonymous said...

I can recommend who I wouldn't go with...AT&T. We had them for years when they were just Cingular and we would drop a call once in a blue moon. Since they were bought by AT&T, we regularly have dropped calls, our contract is up in March and we are dumping them! As far as phone recommendations it depends on what you will be doing. If you are a big texter, the crackberry's are nice. If you are just using it in the conventional phone sense, I really like the Motorola Razor that I have, I drop it a few times a week and it still works!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, the curse of the cell phone drags another determined resister down.

Ya the replacement carpeting would add a homey touch to the downstairs.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yep Alexis, it looks like 2 years is standard.

Thanks for the comment bee. Good to know!!

Even MWrigley wants the basement repaired. It definitely would be more homey with carpeting back down.

stef said...

Let me know what you come up with phone-wise. Husband is trying to talk me into iphones.

Anonymous said...

I would start with finding out what service MWrigley and your other frequent contacts use and use the same provider. I have the krazr and i use verizon as my service provider since 90% of my frequent contacts use them as well. I love verizon,but I've had problems with my Krazr.If you get a crackberry or an iphone you can blog wherever you are!! ;~)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe - it's Katie - I agree with Joisey Ken. See what the majority of your contacts are using then choose wisely. I have Verizon and so do my 'rents and Courtney, I spend the majority of my time talking to them and it's free. I also just started Text Messaging and I'm an addict. I like the LG phones. They've never failed me and I've had three over the past 8 years just about. I'm currently using the LG EnV and love it! Dan thinks it's a little bulky though but it's great for texting. Good luck.

PS- This is the longest entry ever, but I have one more thing to add - Verizon's service is a little sketchy in the city. Irving Park and Western is kind of a dead zone. But it's getting better everywhere else.