Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Recipe for disaster: one part hacking cough, two parts heatless office.

Check out this link: a drunk driver stalled his car on the Metra train tracks in Hinsdale. It gets hit by not one, but two trains!!

This morning, despite my annoying cough and general lethargy, I headed for my office at Hooker and Halsted. It was something like 2 degrees and -15 wind chill, which, needless to say, sucks. But I had a client meeting this afternoon so into the office I went. Upon my arrival, Ricardo told me to keep my coat on as it was 45 in the office and the heat wasn't working yet. Again, no heat. Our damn thermostat is a programmable beast that takes about 15 minutes to reset every time something goes wrong with it and you're never really sure that you've done anything to get it working anyway.

Finally today, Ricardo went off on the maintenance guy (Curious George) who came into the office and replaced the programmable beast with a manual basic thermostat. Unfortunately, but exactly in line with our expectations of Curious George, the thermostat was a heat only thermostat instead of heat and air conditioning. He swears he'll come back and change it. Sure, right.

My meeting was at 2 in the afternoon and by the time I got back at around 3:30, the office was back up to 72 degrees.

So, needless to say, my cough isn't much better today. :-(

Tomorrow is the last day you can vote early for the primaries! I'm going to head over to the advance polling place in my neighborhood and get it out of the way.

3 comments:

alexis said...

oh spoilers, spoilers - what are you gonna vote on that weird question on the ballot this time?

stef said...

What? And miss all the excitement of Super Tuesday?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I voted yes Alexis, to provide health benefits to vets. Took me a while to read the question...it was pretty long!