Sunday, September 09, 2007

Dating First, Then Sports.

So in the last week or so I've been abnormally busy on the dating front. It seems they come in bunches, but I have no idea why. Some have gone well, some not so well. Some from eHarmony and some from friends of friends. They have led me to some decisions about dating though. If we set up a date (which usually requires some impetus from me), we have a good time and I pay for the evening (assuming that it's more than a Starbucks meeting Alexis), am I wrong in waiting for a phone call from them or email saying, "Hey, I had a great time. Thanks for the evening." ?? I mean, isn't that polite thing for them to do? Maybe women don't feel the need to be polite in dating situations. Huh. Well, without that call, the chances of a second date are pretty small in my mind.

I've also decided that it really doesn't matter whether we go out for a fancy meal, drinks after work or Starbucks in the morning. If you're meeting someone for the first time, it's really about talking to them and getting to know them. The rest can even interfere with that process.

My frequent readers know that I'm leaving on Wednesday for Orlando (Disney) for a truly national softball tournament. What you don't know is that it's a 200 team tournament!!! Yeah, Holy Crap!!! I think the biggest tournament I've ever been in has been 60 (St. Louis last year). We placed seventh in that one. The brackets are already out and we play a team from Puyallup Washington on Thursday. The team we beat twice last weekend (Hooters/Zimmerman) somehow managed to get a bye the first game. Doesn't quite seem fair, but whatever. We're thinking it's just more incentive for us to do well. We then would play two games on Friday if we win. If we lose, we COULD play two games on Friday, but if we lose one more after Thursday we'd be done. Saturday is the big day either way with one to six games. Wow. Hope we stay in the winners' bracket!!!

Now, the Bears. They had four turnovers, which I bet if you ran the numbers means that you lose 85% of the time. It wasn't just the turnovers though. The Bears offense looked as inept as their defense looked dominating. Holding San Diego to 14 points, both touchdowns off of turnovers, was pretty impressive. With the score 3-0 Chicago, we stopped the Chargers and forced them to punt. The punt was terrible, but unfortunately a Bears player (Brandon McGowan) was blocking with his head down instead of finding the ball first and the ball hit him making it live for San Diego to recover, which they did. It was only about 25 yards or so, but it was emotionally deflating for the Bears defense. Plus, with the inept offense pulling another Super Bowl shitty performance, the defense seemed to always have to be on the field. Benson was absolutely miserable in running tentatively and fumbling. His backup, Adrian Peterson, at least ran hard and seemed to find holes that Benson couldn't find. Unfortunately, right at the height of his success when it genuinely looked like he would supplant Benson as next week's starter, he too fumbled. Ugh.

Grossman was bad again, but at least he did SOME things well. He actually did hit a few guys in stride which is something I didn't see in the preseason. But I also saw him continue to throw off his back foot causing him to miss wide-open receivers. He also, I guess because he was staring down his receivers in their patterns, couldn't see blitzers even though they were coming from his non-blind side (right at his face). Sure SD's defense is awesome and talented. Sure he had Benson as his runningback. Sure the line missed assignments repeatedly. But a good quarterback steps up and makes things happen. Grossman couldn't do that.

To cap it all off, Mike Brown (starting safety) suffered from yet another case of vaginitis and is probably going to miss the rest of the season. That guy is like tissue paper. Dusty Dvorcek, the starting defensive tackle, also got hurt and may miss significant time. Great; a reduced pass rush AND less coverage down field. That should work well for us in the future. Ugh.

Kudos to Joisey Ken's Vikings who had a great game from Adrian Peterson, their touted rookie runningback (not the same guy we have but the same name).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Buddy !! :)) I'm pretty happy after week one. We'll see how long they can keep it up.
Ken

Anonymous said...

Reasons to be a Steelers Fan:
1. 5 time Superbowl Champs
2. Better and more consistent play from not just the QB, but the whole team.
3. Beat the hell out of the Browns on a regular basis...
4. Really Hot Color Scheme Black & Gold...RAWRRRRRR...

stef said...

What is vaginitis? It doesn't sound like a man should have it...

Also about the ladies- I agree that it would be good manners for a woman to thank you for an evening, especially if you paid for it. But I think that culturally, US women are sort of trained to hang back and let men make the moves. Or were you thanked during the actual evening, at the end? In that case, probably an email doesn't seem neccessary. Of course, if you are referring to your recent Romanian it could be cultural, or she could just not be interested.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Sorry about throwing out the sports injury term without an explanation. Vaginitis is a nice way of saying that someone (in sports usually) is prone to getting hurt. Another word for a p#$$y.

Bee, I hope Kleveland Kim doesn't read today. She'll be on you like white on rice!!

alexis said...

I second stef - she's waiting for you. :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's just plain rude not to recieve a followup call, whether to say thanks I had a good time or to say thanks but it's not you it's me.

Anonymous said...

Is this a new rule that whoever pays gets to be called the next day? This is an easy way to get the other person to call you. This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when George left his hat hidden under the sofa's pillow so he has a reason to go back to his date's house. And I bet your Romanian date did say "Thank you" the night of the date. I think that the men should call the next day after the first date no matter who pays.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

My Romanian admirer (?) has spoken. Guess I'm just not in the swing with proper etiquette. Still seems like a lot to expect from a guy, but oh well.

And yes, my Romanian date did indeed say thank you the night of the date and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Love the Castanza reference by the way. How could I not?

Dry Dock, we've been corrected.

Anonymous said...

As far as I'm concerned, I usually get thanked for the date as we are saying goodbye. It would be rude not to do so.

On the other hand, I don't believe I remember any first date I've had -- including with ex-girlfriends, where they contacted me after the date to thank me. Not that I think it's rude not to do so, but I agree with Stef and Admirer #6 that if the date went well, it's usually incumbent upon the man to make next contact (not that it would be wrong for the woman to do so).

P.S. Joe has at least 6 admirers?!?!?!