Monday, September 10, 2007

Busy Week Before Orlando Tournament

First, Mom's tests came back and she's 100% in the clear. Yay!!!! Big relief for me, Pops and the sisters as well I'm sure (Bee comments sometimes).

Next is a shout out to wife of Ricardo who is celebrating her birthday today. If not for wife of Ricardo, Ricardo and I would never have met. She and I worked together at Morningstar for several years and that's where we met. She has changed my life forever (how many people can say that?), now we'll just see if it's for the better or for the worse. Ha!!

Britney?!? Really? I mean, REALLY?? Good Lord woman, get new handlers if they let you go out there like that and put on that pathetic showing. Normally this type of thing doesn't make my blog, but c'mon, that was absurd. The poor woman barely has any talent to begin with and now she's out of shape, apparently high most of the time AND doesn't have talent. Lip syncing on the MTV Music Awards?? Really? Didn't think anyone would notice? Geesh.

Currently I'm listening to Mike and Mike and Mike (Greenberg, Golic and Ditka) doing Monday Night Football. It's still the first quarter and I already want to kill Greenberg. Golic isn't much better. When Ditka is your "skilled" announcer, you're in a world of hurt.

Wednesday evening I head down to Orlando and I still really have no idea where I'm going, except to a hotel in Kissimmee. Guess I better get that straightened out. Our first game is Thursday night. Where is the closest Starbucks to the hotel???

So I guess the dating thing comes down to several factors. First, there are unilateral accepted norms (norms that women have accepted but have not put in a handbook for men). Then there is the pursued/pursuer role. Apparently, men are suppose to like the pursuer role. Now, I'm not a relationship anarchist (I don't think), I just think that a relationship is, in part, a partnership. Would anyone disagree that a marriage requires work by both partners?? Why would it be different when dating? Shouldn't both parties have emotions and ego at risk equally (or close to it)? Ok, I'm done commenting on the dating scene.....for now at least.

After getting a bunch of work done tomorrow, I'll be having dinner with a friend and her husband who are moving to Rhode Island next month. They are great folks, some of the nicest people you'd ever care to meet, but they are East coasters and are returning home. I'm happy for them, but sad to lose seeing such good people.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You bet your bottom that we are relieved that moms ok! What would dad do without her! The dating thing is very similar to the marriage thing...it takes a lot of hard work and communication by both people to make it look easy to others. Everything in its time...patience.
Good luck in the tourney, hope you guys win big!

Anonymous said...

I just posted thoughts in yesterday's comments, but to respond to today's, let me say a few more things.

Yes, in a modern society a relationship should be a partnership and both person's feelings and egos matter. Still, you're not talking about a relationship -- you're talking about a first date. At least at that point in the game, the pursuer/pursued roles predominate.

Although it's terrific that women are willing to take the lead, ask men out, contact men afterwards, etc., I don't believe that they have ano obligation to do so -- thanking you as you say goodbye should be all that's expected of them. Not only is does it (loosely) follow what they perceive as chivalry, but at the very least, it's only fair seeing that we make 30% more than they do! Ha! ;-)

P.S. Great news about your mom, Joe and Bee. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Aren't you unemployed dejesusfreak?

Anonymous said...

I'm on sabbatical. In fact, I'm returning to school in a couple of weeks -- can't wait!

I don't know if you intended anything untoward about that question, but if you did, it's awfully cowardly to cloak yourself in anonymity. And what does it have to do with dating, anyway?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I think they were referring to the "making 30% more" comment.

Anonymous said...

Ok, but that doesn't mean that my views on dating and gender roles have changed just because I'm temporarily out of the workforce.

Anonymous said...

First - great news on your Mom!

Second - Happy birthday Ricardo wife!

Third - On relationships, with the perspective of a 33 year one that has taken buttloads of work to be successful, I think people today are totally unrealistic as to the real effort it takes. Relationships are brutal and the ones that work are the result of real effort and commitment in the face of hardships, not to mention luck. I see all kinds of people who expect that there is some kind of magic, instant compatibility and if they don't have that, boom it's on to the next one.
The core of the relationship is love which is irrational. Nothing can explain that connection you have with someone. Without that there is nothing. But once that is in place it takes real commitment to get through all the differences in style and substance that occur because of the bizarre reality that opposites in fact do attract and combine.

Whew! Sorry for the rant.

Anonymous said...

El Supremo- you said exactly what i meant, though i was trying not to scare the man...i'm only a 15 year veteran of marriage, but you are exactly right!

alexis said...

that's very wise words there.

and I am so happy to hear your mom is okay!