Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A little science

Today I headed to Athletico for my first physical therapy session for my pinched nerve. Though I was finally able to sleep through the night for the first time in 10 days, my left arm is noticeably weaker today. These symptoms seem to be consistent with the pinched nerve diagnosis. Maybe my doctor DOES know what he's talking about! From this page, I found some valuable information including this diagram which shows where pain shows up usually from which nerve (as determined by the vertebrae). I'm showing classic C7 pinched nerve issues, while also suffering from some C6 problems.


Apparently it's very typical of a pinched nerve to experience the muscle pain first, which I did right by the C7 location above, and THEN lose strength in your arm, at least in the case of the C7 nerve. Specifically your tricep is engaged by your C7, which explains exactly what's going on with my left arm. Today I couldn't even do a pushup if my life depended on it. Three days ago, it wouldn't have been a problem. Weird.

We decided to head out for dinner as we were both pretty tired and not interested in cooking. Upon the recommendation of some friends with kids, we chose a relatively high end hamburger place called DMK. Burgers there are like $10+ and they have a bunch of good beer. While the burgers are pretty tasty, the buns are not as good as they could be and the environment was not great. Not only was our server pushy, it was louder than hell in that place. With a fake tin-stamped roof and smooth, cement walls, there's nothing to absorb the noise. So even though there weren't that many people in there, it was really, really loud. Not a place we'll be going back to. Our main question was how could someone go there with two kids and then recommend it to someone else??

3 comments:

el supremo de nm said...

Revenge?

terri said...

A bad bun takes all the fun out of a burger.

alexis said...

pinched nerve! Any way to prevent it??