Monday, May 24, 2010

Working on 18 years....I guess

The county sent me a "Long-Time Occupant Exemption Application" the other day. Apparently they are jacking up property taxes but if you have an exemption, the increase is capped. I like the idea! In order to apply though, you have to fill out a rather simple document which asks, in part, when you moved in. Seems simple enough right? It took me almost an hour to find SOME document with a date on it that seemed to verify when I took possession. It seemed like the mortgage papers would be good documentation, but I've refinanced two or three times over the years so that wasn't as easy as it seemed.

Anyway, it seems that I moved in October of 1992. My tax return for 1992 didn't show a deduction for mortgage interest, but 1993 had a full year's worth. Two months of mortgage interest wouldn't make itemizing worth it, so it's circumstantial evidence.

So who are my neighbors? I've lived here for 18 years, surely I know my neighbors right? Well, outside of my building, I know the guy next door is named Joe. He's in his 50's, had a high paying HR job and then got let go. Now he works at Home Depot after not being able to find another job. He's the only person in the building I know. On the other side is an Asian couple and a neo-natal care nurse, but I don't know their names. A guy down the street went to high school with me, but he's moving out of the country. That's about it. Further down the street I know Mike and a couple, oh, and around the corner is Brian and Rochelle. Just seems like I should know more people than that. There are other acquaintances on the block I guess, but not many.

The neighborhood is much more transient than a suburban neighborhood, so maybe it's surprising I know as many people as I do!

4 comments:

Stef said...

Is it mainly condos on your block as well? I think that is a different dynamic than when you have more single family homes. We know our neighbors 2 doors down on either side pretty well but that's about it.

alexis said...

I know my neighbor but only by the signs he leaves. The less I know, the better.

terri said...

I don't know. You seem to be doing pretty good. I would say that I "know" - really know about 13 of our neighbors. We are friendly with them. Then there are the others... I know WHO the others are on most of my street and most of the next two streets. But we are in a small development that is about 4 blocks total and have been here for 22 years.

el supremo de nm said...

I don't think it is so surprising. You are a very sociable person.