Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Story of How I Met Ernie Harwell



Ernie's last call before retiring, in 2002 at Comerica Park: "Swing and a miss," describing a pitch to Tigers first baseman Carlos Pena. After a break, Harwell returned and said thanks to the fans for "taking me to the cottage up north, to the beach, the picnic, your workplace and your backyard. Thank you for sneaking your transistor under the pillow as you grew up loving the Tigers. God has a new adventure for me."
His comments really sum up well how we all got to know Ernie while growing up in Michigan.

Here's the story of how I was able to meet Ernie and his wife:

Sometime in the early 2000's, I bought a bat autographed by all of the 1968 World Series champion Detroit Tigers, except for Ray Oyler who passed away in 1981. My father and brother-in-law also each bought one of the limited edition bats. It remains the highlight of my extensive memorabilia collection, but I thought it was incomplete without Ernie's autograph as well, so I wrote the following letter in care of the Detroit Free Press:

ERNIE HARWELL August 15, 2005

c/o Detroit Free Press

Dear Mr. Harwell,

In 1968 I was 2 years old, but I’ve seen tapes of the World Series games and even a documentary on the season. I’m told that I watched all of the games on television, but that’s taking the word of my father, dubious at best.

Even though I now live in Chicago, until the age of 10 I lived in an around Detroit (Pleasant Ridge and Fenton in addition to Detroit proper). So growing up, you were the voice of baseball for me. When the Tigers celebrated your retirement a few years ago, I had the honor of signing the paper banner. If you still have it, I’m on it somewhere!

The reason I’m writing is that I’m a baseball card and other sports memorabilia collector. Three years ago or so, I was fortunate enough to find a bat autographed by most of the 1968 Detroit Tigers (I guess a few hundred of these were autographed at the same time). To me, the bat is incomplete without your autograph on it. I’m hoping you would know the best way for me to track where you’ll be signing autographs so that I can make the trip to Detroit. Do you have any ideas? Possibly through your agent? I really don’t know. My efforts thus far have not been effective.

I appreciate your help Mr. Harwell. Thanks again for the wonderful childhood memories!!!

A few weeks later, in response to my letter, Ernie sent the letter I've scanned here along with his home address. His HOME address! Who does that?? AND a hand written note! But that's the kind of guy he was.




















So in response, I sent the following letter a month later or so:

Ernie Harwell November 5, 2005

(address omitted)

Dear Mr. Harwell,

Thank you so much for writing me back regarding autographing my 1968 Detroit Tigers bat. I was very excited to receive your letter (handwritten no less!!) back in September. While I was hoping that I would make it to Detroit possibly for the Bears/Lions game, business responsibilities took priority and wouldn’t allow for the trip. The White Sox threw an 88 year wrench into my schedule as well, but that was definitely worth it. I was able to see a first round game and game 1 of the World Series in person. It was wonderful.

In mentioning to some sports friends of mine about my intention to visit, they brought up the possibility that you may be headed out of town for the winter. In addition, the holiday season is busy for everyone, so you may already be booked up doing family things. I’d still love to get out there to meet you, possibly take you to dinner (anywhere you’d like to go if you’re so inclined) and to have my bat autographed.

The first few weeks of December seem viable and the Redwings are in town. The first few weeks in January also look wide open to me. Please let me know what might fit your schedule best.

I’ve included some additional contact information below by the way. Sorry about the typewritten letter…..believe me, you wouldn’t be able to read my handwriting!!

Sincerely,

(Here I included my contact information.)

About a week or ten days later, on a Monday morning, I got dressed and headed down to Starbucks for my morning cup of coffee as I do everyday without fail (it is an addiction after all). This particular morning, around 8, the phone rang just as I had opened the door to leave. Normally I would have just let it go to voicemail and then gone to get my coffee, but I decided to at least see who it was. Hmmm, a Detroit area code. I don't remember now if it said "Harwell" on my caller ID or not, but it may have. Anyway, I picked it up and through the line came the unmistakable voice of Ernie Harwell. I was almost speechless.

Ernie simply said "Hello Mr. Sutton, this is Ernie Harwell." as if I didn't know immediately. He went on to say that I should just give him a call whenever I was planning on coming to town and that we would figure something out. And that's what I did in the summer of 2006.

The White Sox were playing in Detroit in mid July during the week, so it was pretty easy to get tickets and I figured it would be a great chance to get together with Ernie. So I actually called him up and asked if he would like to get together for lunch on one of the days that I would be in town. Since I was able to get some really good seats behind home plate, I decided to see if Ernie might want to go to the game with me. He said he didn't go to games anymore, but that lunch would be just fine. Awesome! We discussed a location and we were all set.

The Monday before the Wednesday trip, the phone rang and Ernie was on the other end. "Joe? This is Ernie Harwell." I'll never forget how he would say that. Turns out his publicist had scheduled a bigwig from NY for lunch and he would not be able to make it. Ugh. It was too good to be true. Then he asked if we could have dinner instead!!! Absolutely!!!

Instead of meeting him at the restaurant, I actually picked him and his wife up at their assisted living home. He still didn't know me from Adam, but he was more than happy to have me drive them over to the restaurant, Steve and Rocky's. As each employee came over to say hi and pay their respects, he made sure to make introductions. So courteous!! Dinner went on for over two hours and he was more than happy to sign my bat a few other things I brought along, including an Ernie Harwell bobblehead doll. To make the bats even more special, I had his wife Lulu sign them as well. She was pretty excited to do it.

So that's the story of how I met Ernie Harwell. When I went back to Detroit last summer to see the Cubs play, I set up dinner again and he was more than accommodating. It turns out, the day before he had lunch with the broadcasters from the Cubs. Lunch with them but dinner with me!! Nice!

A few weeks later, Ernie was diagnosed with a inoperable bile duct cancer. He faced the news bravely and said he would spend his remaining days taking care of his wife and would live as long as God allowed. Eight months to the day later, Tuesday, he passed away in the company of his wife and family at that same assisted living home in which I picked him up a few years ago. Rest in peace Ernie.

5 comments:

terri said...

I never even knew who he was until I read about him on another blog friend's blog.

That friend wrote a farewell post to Ernie Harwell also. You might enjoy it:

http://morethananelectrician.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/maybe-i-dont-have-it-all-figured-out/#comment-9263

DogBrian said...

A wonderful reflection entry!

el supremo de nm said...

That really is a very sweet and cool story.

Stef said...

What a wonderful story about a truly great person. Thanks so much for sharing it.

alexis said...

such an amazing experience to have a hero that is even better than you dreamed as a child.