Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Joe Versus the Ceiling Fan

Remember that movie Joe versus the Volcano? It had Tom Hanks AND Abe Vigoda. Talk about a great "Six degrees of separation" factoid. Nice. You can thank me later. My story tonight was much less interesting and the movie wasn't that interesting to begin with!

My ceiling fan remote needs to be replaced, so I bought one made by the same company, took down the ceiling fan and started to go through the directions. Everything was fine until I got to one red wire which had no other wire to which to connect. Black with Black. White with White. Red with.....there's nothing. There should be a black/white combo wire, but there wasn't. Damnit. So I call tech support at Hunter, the ceiling fan company, at around 4 last Wednesday. Closed until Monday. Call on Monday at 5:30....long wait. Call them today at 3 and got through. The remote won't work with my model ceiling fan. Great.

So I came home, reassembled the fan. Re-wired it. Re-hung it. And it didn't work. Cut the power, redid the wiring, reassembled, re-hung...nothing. One more time....nothing. Double damnit. Not sure what to do at this point.

Maybe that WAS as interesting as the movie. :-)


Not too long ago, I wrote about Ryan Leaf in comparison to Peyton Manning. Now they've made a movie about him and his dismal career.

Things I'm grateful for:

#13 a willingness and patience to undertake household projects.
#14 the comedy of Lewis Black.
#15 access to healthcare when I want it, even though it ain't cheap!

3 comments:

alexis said...

I wish I had the patience for home construction. I just have patience for stuff not working.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should have it done by MLM. You'd have it done in time for ... Summer?

Anonymous said...

If the ceiling fan is also a light, the red will control the light part.Try connecting the red with the 2 whites(white is power,black is ground). You have homeowners insurance right?? ;-)