Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day in Mokena

If you don't know where Mokena Illinois is, you should look it up on Google Maps. From me it's about 45 minutes mostly south and a bit west. At least it's only about 45 minutes NOW that construction is done on three major highways that I need to take to get there: 94 (Ryan), 57 and 80. The odds of having one construction free highway in Chicago are pretty infinitesimal much less three of them. But both the trip down there and the trip back were uneventful.

Here are some pics from the event:




Sooo many cars and soooo many SUV's. That means kids a plenty.












Very nicely landscaped front yard. Fresh fertilizer made it smell funk-a-licious.












The hostess with the mostess, Sandie, and hubby Terry. My bad on not getting pictures of the food. From memory there was: ribs, chicken etoufee, beef satay, four or five kinds of salad, crap loads of appetizers that I can't even start to describe and a ton of desserts. One dessert that I had was two chocolate chip cookies with ice cream in the middle and half dipped in milk chocolate. Holy crap!!





The primary outdoor party area. Spacious!













Another party area with a table of regulars. Let's see how many I can name: on the left is Brian McCaskey (yes of the Bear ownership McCaskey's), his gal whose name starts with an 'A' but escapes me, Uncle Tim, someone I don't know in yellow, Terry, the dude in yellow's wife, another gal I don't know and her beau in green who was from Atlanta I think.







Buddy Kels, single mother of two Cathy and someone else's baby.











Kels giving a shot at guitar hero. Terry was showing him how. Joe was smart enough to avoid the game.










Bathroom update! I took out some more of the window frame and afterwards contacted the window installation guys to see how much of it I should remove. After looking at these pictures, they said they could handle the rest. Now it's just a matter of when they can get in to do the work.





The bottom of the window frame. I'm going to need to fill in these gaps with some cement I think.









The top of the window currently. The new glass block window is going to have an operable air vent and a special glass block with a round hole in it for the exhaust pipe. Should be cool if it all works.

4 comments:

alexis said...

wow, that is super-American looking! My memorial day will be spent in the office, just like every other Monday, boo hoo hoo!

Anonymous said...

Lakeview does suburbia.

Anonymous said...

To nit-pick, you probably weren't on the Edens -- you were on the Dan Ryan and possibly the Kennedy.

Looked like a fun occasion, though.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yep DJF, you're absolutely correct. It was indeed the Ryan. For those out of towners, the Ryan runs south from the Loop(essentially), the Kennedy runs north and then west from the Loop while the Edens breaks off from the Kennedy north and west and just heads north.