Sunday, May 18, 2008

Congratulations to El Supremo de New Mexico!

El Supremo's kidney donation went without a hitch and he's recovering at a hotel near his hospital in Hartford. His sister, the recipient, is also doing well. Whoo-hoo!!!

Here are some pictures of the white morels I picked from my back yard. Apparently there are indeed "hunts" that take place for these little buggers, but all I had to do was go out into my relatively shady and damp back yard. Perfect mushroom growing conditions!! Here are some more sites about morels and morel hunting. Thanks again to FP Kim for the links and info. By the way, one site posted my pics!!





I'm going to dry them on a pan in the boiler room.













The biggest is about 6" tall!! Nice!











Many of you know that I've considered shaving my head for about 9 months or so. Though I've come very close to making the call, I haven't done it yet and after seeing this picture in a magazine, I may not!! I asked Ricardo if I would look like this if I shaved my head. He confirmed my suspicions that I probably would....without the glasses of course and I'd have a goatee. Still, not as appealing as I had hoped.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE...PLEASE....PLEASE for the love of God and all that is Holy...don't do it...ever!!!!! By the way, you did verify that those are NOT False Morels, right?

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Bee...amateur mushroom collection can be fatal and the differences between the edible and deathly can be really minor!

stef said...

OMG. Did you try them? They look really yummy but i want you to live!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I have not tried them yet as I think you're suppose to dry them first.

Bee, false morels are solid and actually don't even look like morels (at least in my opinion). They don't have a conical shape to them at all....more like a brain. If you take a cross section, it's easy to tell the difference.

Anonymous said...

I'm far more afraid of the shrooms than the shaved head, which I actually like -- at least on that guy.

Anonymous said...

You are committed to eating those shrooms’ aren’t ya??
If so, you may have a reaction and lose all of your hair, need glasses, and worst of all...begin eating cats (see de-I or Alf from Melmac). http://dwave.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/alf-cat.jpg

Muy Caliente.>!!

tim

alexis said...

can you send a sample to a lab or mushroom enthusiast to control them?? Please don't poison yourself! Do have mushroom risotto.

Desiree said...

I think you would look just fine with a shaved head... the little ring of hair adds on some years, I think. Do it!

I've been on a morel hunt in Terre Haute before. Everyone goes into a forest and tries to find the bigges morels they can, then they are auctioned off. People were finding morels that were the size of volleyballs!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I just received morels the other day from friends who found them near their house. They cleaned them, used a dehydration machine and then packaged them up. I've been instructed to saute them with a little olive oil and then mix them with other ingredients. I still haven't tried them. Maybe I'll wait for you to try yours first. :-)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Do they look like mine DB? Interesting. Shoot me the recipe or other ingredients when you have a second. That would be cool to try.