Sunday, May 11, 2008

Like school on a Saturday.......no class.

Quiz: how many people form The Police and what instruments do they play? Answer below.

So many things to learn, so little time. During the day Saturday, I was able to hit the Edward Hopper Exhibit at the Art Museum. Soooo many things that I didn't know about him and his works. First, the dude was 6'7". I tell you what, there are NOT going to be any more 6'7" painters/artists coming out of this country. How can I say that? Just think about it. Your kid is 6'7" or on his way to it. Are you shoving a basketball in his hands or a paint brush. If you said the latter, ask your husband what HE'S going to do. I guarantee you the basketball will win.

Most of the time, Hopper's wife was the model for his paintings, but he would make the woman much more attractive in the painting. Interesting.

Though he painted telephone poles frequently in his paintings, he almost never painted the wires. Very odd.

So that was the trip to the Art Museum. If you're going to do the audio tour, like I did, bring your own headset (like I did). No headphones for me where I don't know what freaky tourist was using them. Yech.

But my day of learning was far from over!! The Allstate Arena was hosting The Police and I was going! First, I didn't realize Sting was back playing with them on this tour. Yeah, obvious I know. I'm not that bright. Second, I had no idea that The Police only have three members and that they play the drums, bass guitar (Sting) and lead guitar. Wow. All of that music and only three members. I don't know how often you'll see THAT it the future either. Their concert was inspirational. Absolutely amazing.

8 comments:

Desiree said...

So now, all you gotta do is find a drum and bass player and you'll have your own band!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't know that there are only three members in the group. C'mon Lakeview! I was there as well, although I didn't think they sounded as good as they did at Wrigley last summer.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You know I'm not that bright DB! How funny if we would have run into each other!!

Anonymous said...

This just in -- the Beatles had only four guys and two of them wrote most of their songs. ;-)

stef said...

I've been really dying to see the Hopper exhibit. I'll have to make it happen.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Unfortunately Stef, Saturday was the last day in Chicago for the Hopper exhibit. Road trip!!!

Anonymous said...

They sounded bad-ass at Dodger Stadium last year...you can tell they all hate eachother, but it was awesome!!!
Copeland is worth the admission himself.

Tim

Anonymous said...

Power trios are the best in pop music - a real test of musicianship.

Lakeview going to art exhibit - yet another nail in the coffin of street cred!