Friday, February 11, 2011

Now THAT'S the way to spend a Friday.

It was a pretty good day I must say. Some work was scattered through the day, as usual, but LL works from home on Friday, so those days are always better. We had a nice, high protein breakfast of eggs, a little meat, beans and cheese. The usual, but still delicious. Lunch was a high protein bar to give me enough energy for my workout, which followed in the late afternoon.

Before I left for the gym though, I prepped and started cooking a slab of ribs. It would be hard for me to tell you how good these ribs were tonight. Fall off the bone delicious and clearly the best ribs I've made by far (the track record is rather short however). The recipe I used combined three or four recipes including my mothers of all people who was hiding her recipe from me for some reason. More on the ribs later.

My trip to the gym was great because it started off with taking the buckets from someone who was trying to save their parking spot because the poor baby shoveled it out a week ago. Don't worry, I was responsible though: I put the buckets in a recycling bin down the street. Ha!

The protein breakfasts and lunches have given me some pretty good strength at the gym. Last week I bumped up my bench pressing 10 pounds on my first rep of 10 (after 5 reps at a lower weight to warm up) and 10 pounds to my second rep of 10 as well. Overall I do 35 reps and I've really gotten stronger in just a few weeks! The weight loss has come along yet, but if I have more muscle mass, the weight loss will come.

Back to the ribs. So I cooked these bad boys in the oven and cooked a sweet potato as well. The spud went along with the ribs very well. So here's the recipe:

Cut slab of ribs in half.
Apply your favorite rub (I kept the same recipe for mine).
Place each half in it's own pan (bones up to start) with enough apple juice to just cover the bottom of the pan with the ribs in it. Yes apple juice. You can use water, but I like AJ.
Cover the pan with tinfoil.
Cook for 90 minutes at 250 degrees.
Flip ribs and check fluid level in the pan.
Cook for another 90 minutes.
Flip ribs. Apply barbecue sauce liberally to the ribs.
Take off the tin foil if there's still a significant amount of liquid in the pan.
Cook for another 30 minutes but up the temperature to 300.
Flip ribs. Apply barbecue sauce liberally to the ribs.
If there is still a lot of liquid, drain some off, but not all of it.
Cook for another 30 minutes but up the temperature to 350.

That should be it! Fall off the bone deliciousness.

Now the Blackhawks are on TV!

7 comments:

terri said...

I just crack up every time I picture you stealing buckets from a parking spot, all stealth-like. I would LOVE to see the face of the person who shows up expecting to find "their" spot only to find it's been given away.

I am curious about your protein breakfasts and lunches. How do you fit in enough fruits and veggies during the day? As snacks? And with dinner? I'm not really looking to lose weight, but do want to tone and build muscle, so I wonder if a similar diet is what I need. I seem to lose stamina easily.

Ribs... Mmmmm... I really should give them a try some day.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good question about fruits and veggies. Usually I have one if not two veggies with dinner. Generally any fruit I have is just a snack or whatever during the day. Truthfully I have way more fruit in the summer than winter.

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

More fruit in the summer than winter: that's consistent with how your ancestors ate! (So likely a good idea.)

Further into _4 Hour Body_, you'll find trainers of world class athletes in a variety of sports have found that a total of 10 reps (across 2 to 5 sets) maximizes strength. (It also reduces the amount of time you need to spend in the gym, but that may or may not matter to you.)

el supremo de nm said...

I am sooooo looking forward to the change in breakfast when I visit next :)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Don't hold your breath ESDNM. I only cook for my lady!

Yep BtB, I do a set of 5 and then 3 sets of 10. Oh wait, you're saying a TOTAL of 10 reps. Wow that's not much. It certainly goes against what my physical therapists have said over the last 15 years.

alexis said...

Joe, I know you feel passionately about the buckets but you do realize it's only a matter of time before someone keys your car, right?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh Alexis, the "key" is to not park in the spot!! I just remove the buckets, but park elsewhere. Sure, some unsuspecting person can get their car keyed, but hopefully they'll randomly walk up while the person is doing it and pound them into the snow!