Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Family Jewels

Not sure if you saw this video or not, but it took me by surprise. It's one of those CBS Cares commercials, for a somewhat odd topic: testicular cancer. Now, there's nothing funny about testicular cancer, but this commercial was a little over the top. When the guy says, "Why give a diamond when you can give the family jewels?" I almost lost it. There had to be a better way to deliver the message.

For her birthday, LL got one of these alarm clocks. I have to say, it's pretty damn sweet to just have to open your eyes to see what time it is. No need to turn your head or focus; it's all there on the ceiling. Now we need one that will tell us the temperature outside too!

There haven't been any signs of people trying to save their shoveled out spots with chairs or anything in my neighborhood. However, there was one woman over by my gym who did it. I parked across the street in another free spot, went over to the two spots that she saved (possibly someone else saved the other spot, I'm not sure) and I tossed away the buckets and 2x4's she used to save the spots. I've gone on record as calling this an indefensible position. Show me your permit from the city. Can I just block the street in the summer too? Where's the line drawn and what's the logic behind it? Indefensible. If you don't want to deal with shoveling snow and losing your spot, either A) get a parking spot in a lot or B) don't move your car or C) move somewhere where it doesn't snow. After my workout, I saw the woman put a bucket on the car that was parked there. My only regret was that I didn't take the buckets!

3 comments:

terri said...

That commercial may be over the top, but you can bet people are talking about it and the message is going to stick. That's great advertising right there.

People are actually "saving" parking spots? I've never heard of that. Some people have such a sense of entitlement these days. Good for you moving the buckets.

alexis said...

oh goodness - I'm not even going near the parking spot business! That is heated territory in Chicago.

I would dread having an alarm clock like that. I like that I need to look over to see the time. If it's the middle of the night and I can't sleep, probably knowing how late it is isn't going to help me relax and get back to sleep. In the morning, I'm not someone who hits snooze all the time, so I know basically what time it is when the alarm goes off.

el supremo de nm said...

I'm not sure even that clock could help the visually impaired like myself.

Joe - parking spot avenger.