Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Getting Better

Sorry about missing yesterday. Not much to report unless you're interested in my use of tissue and the products with which I fill them. Yeah, it was that kind of day. After 11 hours of sleep on Monday night though, I felt a bit better this morning. The medicine for the day was 3 ibuprofens and icing my back. Oh, didn't I tell you? I hurt my back on Sunday night.

How could that possibly be? You're sick. What the heck were you doing?

Well, the team with whom I'm heading to Arizona later this week had a practice on Sunday night in a dome. The practice didn't start until about 9:45, so around 7 I sucked down some Dayquil and headed out. The Dayquil kept my symptoms under control, but unfortunately, towards the end, my back started to spasm. It was awful and I couldn't even bend down to pick up a ball. So around 11 I had to call it quits and head home. Fortunately I already had a chiropractor appointment and massage scheduled. Serendipity!!

Before my appointment in the afternoon, I took some more Dayquil because all I could think about was how my sinuses were going to be during an hour of having my face down on a massage table. Again, Dayquil came through for me! The stuff works!

After my adjustment, I sat waiting for my massage therapist. Then this guy shows up and says, "Joe?"
Yeah.
"Hi, I'm so and so (I don't remember his name). I'll be doing your massage today."
Um, where's Rachel?
"She doesn't work here anymore."
Now I've only had 4-5 massages in my life but they've always been by a woman. If I have a choice of someone rubbing their hands on me, I prefer it to be a woman. But I was in pain and I have a big weekend coming up with two rounds of golf and a softball tournament, so I needed relief.

Well, the long and short of it is that the guy did a great job. More than half the time was spent twisting my legs like a pretzel to stretch out my lower back in various ways. By the end of the massage my back felt great. It was a little sore this morning, but I've continued the ibuprofen and ice treatments. Wednesday I'll go back for an adjustment and probably electric stim since the masseuse is booked already.

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to sleep well again and at least my cold will be gone. First thing Thursday morning, I'm off to Phoenix!

5 comments:

alexis said...

blurg, sounds not fun. Though why you attempted to go to baseball practice instead of resting is a bit mystifying! rest, rest, rest!

kepp08 said...

Did it move?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

An excellent question Andy, which I almost included in the entry, but I'm not sure everyone is as big a fan of Seinfeld. It was one of the first things I said to LL, "I'm safe, it didn't move.".

terri said...

The back stuff sounds awful. Thank god for Chiropractors, huh? I don't know how I survived before.

Hope you're feeling better by now. If not, maybe the warm weather in Phoenix will do the trick.

el supremo de nm said...

Hope everything is OK for the trip. Enjoy the warmth!