Sunday, February 13, 2011

Christmas Card Picking 2010 version

First things first, Saturday night LL and I hit the Ditka Dome in the suburbs to collect money for the Super Bowl squares fundraiser my team had (I was the big winner!!) and to play in the dome for the first time this season (which started in November I think). Anyway, I sucked in the field, which is why I don't like playing in the dome. The lighting is awful and at third base the light is directly in your eyes so the ball is backlit which makes it look like it's in a slightly different position as it approaches you. So I didn't make a single play at third. Ugh. My shoulder held up fine and I throw with very little discomfort now.

The second batch of ribs which I made on Saturday didn't turn out quite as good as the first batch on Friday. The problem, I think, was that I put in a bit less juice on Saturday because there seemed to be too much on Friday. Why mess with it when you have something awesome? I'm not sure. They were still better than anything I've done on the grill though!!

Sunday was Christmas Card Picking Day at my parents' house. If you don't recall, this an annual event they've held since 1973. The family gathers and we vote on the best Christmas card that they received that year. Family picture cards are eliminated and usually cards with writing on the outside are eliminated. The winner receives a letter of congratulations and the card is then framed and hung on the wall at my parents' house. Yes, they have 37 or so cards hanging on the wall.

Bee, my sister, talked some smack last Monday in my blog about winning this year. As it turns out, Bee was the runner-up. My other sister has started her own competition and Bee was runner-up with a different card there as well. Always the bridesmaid.

The winner this year was the card Laura and I sent! Laura separately picked out and sent them a nice card too and it made the final 11 or so, but didn't make the cut to the final three. Since we both signed each other's names in the cards, we really had two entries. Perfectly legal by the way.



So here were the final two combatants. The card I sent is on the left, the picture of the dog. Dogs always beat deer Bee!!

7 comments:

alexis said...

lol - well done Joe. When was the last time you won?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good question....it's my second win and third nomination....oh wait, caught up in awards season. Two wins with the last one coming a few years ago.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh, my win was in 2007.

Bee said...

I was robbed!!!!
Grats Bro & LL

el supremo de nm said...

Dogs - Boring

Consistency with cooking is very, very hard. It's what makes you really appreciate the pros.

terri said...

I love the idea of a Christmas card competition. I remember reading about this last year, but I didn't remember (or maybe you didn't say) that the winners are kept and framed. Very cool idea! I'm curious why and how this all started.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Good question Terri! My mom read about the concept in an article regarding family activities. The letter to the winner and the framing I think she added.