Monday, April 05, 2010

Heading Outback

Saturday, for possibly the first time, I went to Outback Steakhouse with LL and her parents. The reason I'm writing about it is that because it's a big chain, they have to have their nutritional information readily available. And do they ever! On their website you can figure out the cumulative nutritional value of your entire meal. The really interesting thing is that since they are cooking steaks, you have much more say in how they are cooked to begin with. What you can do is tell them to not cook it in butter (cooking the steak in butter is the default) and to not season it and it saves a ton of calories, fat and sodium. I also strongly suggest the sweet potato as one of your sides. Delicious.

In a rare George Castanza move (from Seinfeld), I actually brought my own bottle of salad dressing into the restaurant (courtesy of LL's purse) and we used that on our salads. Now that I think about it, Jerry brought his own maple syrup into Monk's for his pancakes. Too funny. Castanza brought in his own cucumber for his salad. Living the sitcom!!

3 comments:

el supremo de nm said...

I've always thought of your life as a living sitcom.

And word verification today is:
elettice

I guess that's the new social networking salad.

terri said...

So you didn't go with the garlic mashed potatoes then? I'm guessing they're off the charts in fat and sodium. But SO good!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

25 grams of fat and over 1,000 mgs of sodium terri!! They are AWFUL for you. I'm sure they would be delicious though......