Monday, April 12, 2010

Busy Day

Interesting day today with the Cubs home opener drawing large crowds to the neighborhood, including a fellow softballer and person for whom I do some consulting work. He was meeting his wife to go to the game (she was coming from work), so we went for a very traditional pre-baseball meal: falafel. He has some dietary restrictions and I just happen to know a place that makes it fresh.

While they went to the game, I hit the gym and stepped up my cardio workout on the treadmill a few tenths of a mile per hour. Got through 2 miles in good shape and went to lift some weights. Tomorrow is my PT session, so I didn't push too hard on the weights, at least on anything I'd be doing tomorrow anyway.

After the game, my guests came back to my place and when LL got back from work, we all went for sushi. Good stuff!

Though the day was busy, I did manage to fit in an episode of Barney Miller from 1976 in which they needed to get flu shots due to an epidemic. The type of flu? Swine flu!! No kidding!! Back in 1976. I didn't recall ever hearing before last year. Maybe that's why "they" wanted us to call it H1N1 instead of swine flu. Or maybe that was the pork lobbyists.

While catching the weather at the end of the day on our local Fox affiliate, WFLD channel 32, from the some-time-poster Amy Freeze, there were some disturbing comments thrown out by the peanut gallery surrounding my tv. As it was only LL and me, you can guess where the comments came from. "How do we know she's even qualified to do the weather? Where's her degree? She's probably lying." Hurtful comments. I apologize on LL's behalf Amy. No hard feelings! I'll let her apologize in person when we take our tour. No date has been set yet, but Katie, you're in! Probably only 5 more spots to fill.

3 comments:

Eric H. said...

"Maybe that's why "they" wanted us to call it H1N1 instead of swine flu."

There was a huge problem with the vaccines that year too, which is one reason the tinfoil hat brigade was out in force this past year.

Katie said...

Woot!! Amy Freeze and Fox tour - can't wait. If you need an extra, I can bring new boyfriend, Max!

terri said...

A girl at work had the swine flu and told me her husband was lucky not to get it because he had been vaccinated in 76 when he was in grade school. I didn't know whether to believe she had her facts straight until I just read this! Go figure!