Thursday, January 14, 2010

Where did all my topics go?

The other day I probably had 20 things to write about...now.....nuthin'. Where did those thoughts go?

Oh, one thing I wanted to write about was a new list of mutual funds for this year. The last list that I could find was from October of 2008 with their 2009 returns:
Weitz Hickory WEHIX ( 36.5%)
Dodge and Cox Income DODIX (16.1%)
Mairs and Power Balanced MAPOX (21.4%)
Mairs and Power Growth MPGFX (22.5%)
Stratton Small-Cap Value STSCX (17.9%)

All of these funds are 4 star funds according to Morningstar except for Weitz Hickory. The fund underperformed it's benchmark by 5.5%. That said, it did finish in the top third of comparable funds. Still, it's the third year in a row that it's underperformed it's benchmark, so I have to drop it from my recommended list.

Stratton, though up as well, underperformed it's peer group by 14%. After finishing in the top 3% of similar funds in 2008, it finished in the bottom 5% in 2009. This fund isn't for everyone.

The other funds are pretty solid.

1 comment:

stef said...

it's funny. now that I don't get to write as often. When I do get a chance I can never think of anything to write either.