Thursday, January 28, 2010

Gordian Knot

Today I read an article on Obama's State of The Union speech last night with discussion from both sides. Evan Bayh (pronounced Buy) said, "No speech can untie that Gordian knot" -- referring to the complexities confronting Democrats as they consider how to untangle far-reaching bills passed separately by the House and Senate now that they lack the 60 votes needed to advance in the Senate.

My education was light on literary references (thankfully I say!), so I looked up Gordian Knot on Wikipedia, the source for all information great and good. While I understand Bayh's reference, I'm not sure I agree with it. It seems that if Obama put forth specific compromises instead of just "we will try harder on healthcare", he might have actually been able to make significant progress and possibly undone the Gordian Knot that is healthcare in congress. At least it would have been nice to see him try.

An interesting study was done regarding NFL games. On average, over the games studied, there was only 11 minutes of actual playing time where the ball was in play. Eleven minutes a game. And this is what, a trillion dollar industry? Certainly in the many hundreds of billions. Unbelievable. About 60% of the non-commercial telecast shows players milling about. So football is a bunch of people on their sofa watching a bunch of people standing around. And I still love it!!!

1 comment:

el supremo de nm said...

Excellent - I'm bringing out the Gordian Knot analogy for the next three months.

I saw the same article on the NFL time of play. Just confirms why I'm a soccer fan.