Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Rest of Vegas Trip

Yesterday's entry was long wasn't it?? After writing it I was like "holy shit, no one's going to read all of that." Sorry about that. In a nutshell, we finished 7th out of 55 teams and I performed reasonably well.

So what ELSE happened in Vegas? Well, MWrigley came along with me as you know and it was our first weekend away together. We got into two short spats (one was her fault and one was mine...probably) that we talked through after a short cooling down period and all was good again. I think that's a healthy part of any relationship....or at least not a bad thing.

MWrigley had only been to Vegas once and it was for work, so she hadn't done much gambling. She watched on Saturday as I played black jack and taught her some of the basics. After a while and a few coffee and Baileys (yes it was cold in Vegas), she sat down and played like a champ. She wanted to go back and gamble on Sunday, but I was playing softball from 7:30 am until 10:30 pm and had to get up at 6:30 the next morning again. Plus, after sitting in the 45 degree weather on Sunday for three games over several hours, she was feeling a little tired, sore and cold so she took a hot shower and lied down for most of the evening while I played my last two games. She was almost asleep by the time I got home and showered.

Still, all in all it was nice to have the quality time together that we had. On Monday we had lunch in the revolving restaurant on top of the Stratosphere hotel. That was pretty cool and the food was actually good.

On the plane ride there and back we watched movies which is my new favorite past time for plane rides. I have a portable DVD player with a 17" screen so it's a good size, but lighter than a computer and good resolution. Durable too as I've dropped it a few times. Doh! On the way there we watched Evan Almighty (big Correl fans) and Knocked Up on the way back. I'm not sure if we were giddy or what, but we laughed almost constantly watching Knocked Up. Very funny lines in there.

Once home, I went out to do a "fly by" on Basra. The holes I collapsed before leaving remain collapsed, but a new hole with some serious digging appeared. That should make it easy for T-Rex. However, we had about 5 inches of snow last night and the weight of the snow triggered Mr. Rex. I had to reset him and reposition him based on the trails in the snow. It looks like there are four active holes right now. I'm thinking about getting another T-Rex.....sort of a troop surge. Too funny.

For the second day in a row I heard an ad on the radio for Evelyn Wood's Speed Reading. I remembered the commercials and such for her classes and I think I even went to a free seminar once, but I hadn't heard anything about them in a decade. Now, suddenly, there's a resurgence. Seemed like a scam for the most part to me, but if it was a scam, it was a good one because she made a ton of money off of it.

Tonight: Christmas tree shopping......pending Peapod delivery.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed that I was the only one of your faithful fans to make a comment on your mega post yesterday. Remember that when it comes to wine ordering time next week! If only I had known you were going to reduce it to two sentences today.

Ken said...

UMMMM....What the heck is a Peapod?!

alexis said...

peapod! I didn't know they were still in biz!

Anonymous said...

I stopped reading after "sports first and then the other stuff tomorrow"...
OMG there is someone who hasn't heard of Peapod?? The savior of the downtown dwelling, hard working, too busy to go shop at Whole Paycheck soldier of life??
Huh...who knew...?

Unknown said...

Well if I had known about the speed reading thing earlier I might have been able to finish yesterday's entry.

stef said...

Well i just started reading but I guess I will skip the lengthy sports entry and just look for the juicy parts.

Anonymous said...

We got into two short spats (one was her fault and one was mine...probably) that we talked through after a short cooling down period and all was good again.

Haven't you yet learned -- they are always your fault!