Wednesday, December 26, 2007

More Christmas

While writing this I'm watching my recording of the Bears game from Sunday.

Shit was that cold. I must be crazy. One of the stats coming out of the game though was that Kyle Orton, the Bears QB, was 8-14 for 101 yards and a QB rating of 103. So all you Grossman lovers out there who continually fall back on his three October 100+ rated games from last year as reason for him to start in the Super Bowl after sucking for most of the year and as a reason for him to start this season, just about anyone can get a 100+ QB rating. Orton didn't do anything on Sunday except not throw a pick. I'm really intrigued to see what the Bears do at QB, RB and OL next year.

Back to Christmas. Last night, MWrigley and her mom cooked four or five appetizers and that's what we had for dinner. Now, I had already had a ton of food at my folks place: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes laced with Bush Mills whiskey, salad and pie. So appetizers were about all I could handle at this point. Here's a picture of the festivities:







The main sweets: my mother's "wreath" and cherry wink cookies.











The whole crew sans Joe.















The small tree this year. Ma wasn't feeling as "Christmasy" this year so she didn't toss up the big tree with tons of decorations.











Boy does it look nasty at that game......the Bears just fell on the GB punter after he dropped the ball.

The appetizers we had were as follows as best as I can remember. I did not take pictures unfortunately. Sorry. What I liked the best was bacon wrapped bits of chicken in some kind of rub. Wow was it good and I KNOW things wrapped in bacon. My second favorite was a teriyaki shrimp dish. Some of the folks liked it the best actually. Third on my list were MWrigely's mom's famous egg rolls. They are lighter than traditional egg rolls and they made a sweet sauce for dipping.

McClover just blocked a punt at the five yard line.

The fourth appetizer was crab cakes. Again, the ladies made a sauce for dipping. Mmmmmm.

Orton just put the ball between Muhammad's 8 and 7 in the end zone on 4th and goal from the three and he dropped it. Ugh.

The last appetizer, which was still very good, was a vegetarian cake of sorts with mushrooms, onions, lettuce and some other stuff. It was actually pretty good, but I guess it was a lot of work to put them together and relative to the other appetizers, maybe it wasn't worth it so I don't think it's going to make the cut next year.

Ryan Grant just ran for a long touchdown and the Packers lead 7-6....what would be their only lead of the game.

Another shanked punt by GB.

Some clarifying notes on the clothes MWrigley bought for me after we talked about the day (not just our gifts) last night around midnight for about an hour or so. SHE likes on men the following: khaki's with no pleats and no cuffs, a certain style of jeans, pullover/sweaters with zippers at the top, untucked dress shirts and doesn't like a guy in jeans and tennis shoes. I like pleated pants (they just fit my body better) with cuffs, baggy jeans, crew neck sweaters and tops and I'm ok with jeans and tennis shoes, but rarely wear them short of to a ball game in the summer. So what did she get me as gifts? Khaki's without pleats or cuffs, jeans worn by guys on Entourage (seriously, they actually say that on the tag), two zipper up pullovers, a dress shirt designed to not be tucked in and a pair of shoes that I can't even begin to describe but were given with the thought of wearing them with jeans.

So were these gifts for HER or ME? It's akin to me buying her two tickets to opening day at Wrigley. Sure, the tickets are for her, but who really enjoys them? Were the tickets something SHE really wanted? I think that explains it pretty well.

Tillman just blocked a punt and the Bears ran it into the end zone. Sweet.

That all said, I don't want to sound like an ingrate. Just the fact that she invited me over to meet her folks and spend Christmas eve and Christmas evening with them really was the only gift I wanted. We had a wonderful two days together and I look forward to 2008 with her. She's already talking about how she's going to pay more attention to things I want during the year so she can get those types of gifts next year.

Here's my sole Christmas decoration this year:







My mantel upstairs with most of my Christmas cards. I left off a good number of the family picture cards and cards that are just pictures of the kids. They are appreciated too of course, but they don't sit up well.








Urlacher's interception and touchdown....the icing on the Christmas cake!!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your Christmas highlights and for the re-cap of that sweet win by the Bears over the Pack. It is grand that someone finaly did something about your wardrobe.

Anonymous said...

So you're telling me it was so cold your brain functions ceased and you had to watch the game to recall what you had seen!

BTW as we get anything written about Urlacher since he's the only NM guy in the NFL whose a star reprinted here, I say an interesting article conjecturing a move to outside linebacker for him. Your thoughts.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Actually I usually watch the tape of the game to see if I missed anything, like the referee tackling the GB linebacker. I fast forward through the commercials, so it's pretty quick.

Someone wrote about the Urlacher idea here too. When he first came up, the coaches had him at outside linebacker. Then they moved him inside, but I can't remember why. The move outside would keep the big linemen off of him. Could be interesting depending on the surrounding talent.

alexis said...

er... yey, football!

stef said...

Oh god. PLEATED PANTS? Say it ain't so Joe.

Anonymous said...

The Urlacher article here was actually a reprint of the Tribune article. No actually writes anything here for the newspaper.

Anonymous said...

So were these gifts for HER or ME?

It depends on whether you consider it a gift to be brought up to date in style. From what I understand, button-up shirts (or what you call "dress shirts") are not to be tucked in unless (a) they are truly dress shirts -- the kind one would normally expect to see with a tie, and (b) one is wearing it for dress purposes (i.e., with a suit or slacks). If wearing a patterned button-up short with jeans, even if with a sweater, it is *not* to be tucked in.

Yeah, I had a hard time with that one too.

I also read that pleated pants are not in style either, for what that's worth. Cuffs are ok, but wear a plain front.

I can't help with the jeans -- I don't like the current style, no matter what is said about it.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Hey now, my pleated pants are very comfy and look just fine! Funny story, I tried on the non-pleated khaki's she bought me and I had male camel-toe!! Not good. I think everyone would prefer the pleats over that.

You're spot on dejesus. The shirt actually wasn't bad and provided it was given with gifts that I wanted, I would have had a different reaction. Just in the whole context of the other gifts, it was another one of the bunch.

Anonymous said...

male camel-toe?

Anonymous said...

Where's MWrigley's blog so we can read about what you got her and her reaction? Personally I like the way you dress. I liked the blue sweater for instance. But this new collection sounds pretty attractive too. And the fact that you guys survived the holidays and are going strong...inspirational, I'm telling you! I was envious hearing about that weekend trip in Wisconsin, sounded wonderful. Good luck, and Happy 2008!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thanks anonymous! I didn't think that I dress too poorly, but maybe some freshing up isn't a bad thing.

MWrigley doesn't even like me talking about her on MY blog, much less keeping one herself. She's pretty private in that regard.

The weekend trip to Wisconsin really was very nice. Those trips can go either way, but it worked out very well!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh, and she LOVED her gifts. Even her mom thought she got great gifts from me. There's a lot that I'm not particularly good at, but usually...usually....I'm a good gift giver. This haul included: jewelry, clothing, perfume, shoes and kitchen items.