Friday, August 10, 2007

The luckiest table of all time.

It may seem like all I do is golf and lately that's not far from the truth. Yesterday was an outing with a client and two auditors who are potential referral sources. Good guys, all of them, and we walked the course with caddies so it was really hot, but fun and good exercise. By the way, if you don't live around here, our weather has been really, really hot and humid (90 degrees or so). The course was very nice (Ridgemoor Country Club) and every time I play there I think I should join because it's very close and isn't crazy, crazy expensive.

Today the weather remained hot and humid and yes, I went golfing again! The event today was a fund raiser for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. While I was excited about playing and in particular shooting with my buddy Joe D. (I went to his wedding in Sarasota in May), I did have to make a trade-off since my softball team had two games tonight as well as part of a state tournament. Since I had already committed to the even though and the softball tournament was almost last minute, I stuck with golf (plus we had plenty of guys to fill in).

Joe and I were teamed up with Ken and Alan, neither of whom golf much as evidenced by their playing in tennis shoes. We were playing a scramble though where everyone hits and you play the best shot of the group. Everyone hits again from that spot and you take the best result again. Lots of fun easier to play than struggling with just your shots. Here are some pictures:




Had to start with this shot. A guy, now out of the picture, was supposed to hit the ball left and instead it went off the end of his club over the houses on the right almost perpendicular to the proper direction. Ha!










Me, Joe D., Alan and Ken, taken with the camera on a timer and obviously very low to the ground. Don't we look huge?!?!?












A nice dogleg left. Notice the clouds? They go away soon enough.












What a great looking par 3. Still some clouds.













A nice hole with no clouds in the sky!













Not a cloud in the sky by the late afternoon. This was an uphill par 5. Very scenic.









So we plugged away on the course, but we just didn't have the talent to get it done. We finished at -1 and the winner was at -10. However, I did hit a nice drive on the longest drive hole, temporarily taking over the longest drive lead. We were the second or third group though, so even though it was 280 yards, I was pretty sure it wouldn't hold up.






If you're not familiar with this part of the event, you write your name on the placard and move it to where your drive stopped if it's further than where the placard was previously. We started on hole 15 and this was hole 16.






But guess what? It did hold up!! There were two foursomes per hole for a total of 144 players and I won longest drive! Whoo-hoo!!! Not only that, my playing partner Joe D. won the closest to the pin contest. Another pic:





Ken, me, Joe D. and Alan. Joe and I won those trophies for our nice shots.








Joe and I winning set up the funny part of the evening. We both participated in a 50-50 drawing where you pay $10 and if you win, you get half the pot. Instead of a typical ticket though, they had a deck of cards and they would rip a card in half and give you half and keep half for the drawing. Well, because of the number of people they had to use three decks, all with different backs. When they picked the winner, they called four of spades, which Joe D. had!! Up jumps Joe, high-fiving people and heading up to collect his winnings. Nope, wrong four of spades. The winner was from one of the other decks. Doh.

Later, Joe's Uncle Frank announced the winning foursome and then followed with the longest drive winner, me, and the closest to the pin winner, Joe D. Joe and I were sitting right next to each other. Then they started doing the raffle and there were only a few prizes: a basket of booze, a golf bag and a trip to Cancun. First was the booze and they called out "370246" which was my number!! Awesome!!!




I'm going to have to keep this stash away from el supremo de NM. No doubt.








So then they call the second number, "370250". And Joe D. jumps up right next to me! "I won!" And again he starts high-fiving people and heading up to the stage to collect his prize. Ala Derek Zoolander though, Joe D. did not win. I knew Joe had 370240 and wondered why he got all excited after the number was read. I wasn't going to rain on his parade though as he'd already gone up once with no reward. Maybe I heard it wrong. Nope. Poor Joe D. Two trips up to the podium and no prize. We laughed hysterically though. And then the guy on the other side of me won the trip to Cancun!! What a lucky table!!

No comments: