Tuesday, August 14, 2007

An Epiphany.

Today at the office I discussed my Harry Potter entry with Ricardo over lunch and it went something like this:

So Ricardo, are you into Harry Potter at all?

"No, not really."

Never read the books or saw the movies?

"Nope."

So my blog yesterday didn't mean much to you did it?

"Nope. What was with that one character?"

Dolores Umbridge? It's a long story, but she was really unpleasant. She was heavy handed, over bearing, intolerable, unpleasant, unfair and close-minded to the facts.

"Sounds like a business person we know."

Yeah, that freakin' a-hole Tao. YEAH!! You're right!! That's why the story had such an impact on me. It's not that J.K. Rowling is such an amazing writer (no offense J.K.), but that I could relate Harry Potter to one of the more traumatic times in my life, leaving Morningstar. Plus, the more I thought about it, Albus Dumbledor, the great wizard, stood by and did nothing about Dolores Umbridge, much like Joe Mansueto, the billionaire, stood by and did nothing about Tao.

We are not so different you and I, Harry Potter.

After that epiphany, anything else I write today would be fluff.

3 comments:

alexis said...

tee hee heh. Nice wikipidia link. Although it feels a bit risqué considering I read the blog from work.

stef said...

So THAT's who you remind me of!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thanks Alexis. It was luck to come upon that Lucifer link. Very appropriate though.

No scar stef......at least none in the shape of a lightning bolt. Harry needs Lasik like I had!!