Monday, August 13, 2007

How good are the Harry Potter books?

Went out and saw the latest Harry Potter installment in the theater, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The reason I really wanted to see it (and actually have wanted to see it for two weeks) is that I thought it was the movie based on book 6 and wanted to refresh my aging memory prior to reading book 7. Unfortunately, the movie is actually based on book 5, so it didn't help me with horcruxes at all.

The movie did remind me of what a terrible time I had reading book 5. The author did an outstanding job of developing the character and story around Dolores Umbridge. I hated this woman and hated just about every single chapter she was in. Imagine if you will, and maybe you had the same experience, reading the story and just hating what the character was doing and vocalizing "Why the hell doesn't someone do something!!" That was me and I'm never like that, with books at least. So when I found out the movie was about this book, my emotions became mixed about seeing it.

Fortunately the movie has less time to develop her character and while I still despise the character, it wasn't nearly as painful as reading the book. Yay!!

I spoke with Movie-Mate-Maria regarding one of the characters, Emma Thompson. MMM mentioned that we never saw Emma Thompson (playing Sybill Trelawney) again after her near expulsion. "Sure we did, she was Bellatrix Lestrange right?" Nope, said MMM, she played Sybill. "Really? I thought for sure Emma Thompson was Bellatrix. Wait, I'm thinking of Emma Samms. Is that right? Does Emma Samms look anything like Bellatrix?" Judge for yourself. I may still be right!!!







Helena Bonham Carter who played Bellatrix Lestrange.



















Emma Samms who from Dynasty and General Hospital. Different people? I think not.

7 comments:

alexis said...

hahahah, thank god for you hard-hitting investigative reporting, or the truth would never have been discovered.

stef said...

are they both british?

Anonymous said...

Horcruxes contain a piece of Voldemort's soul, every Horcrux that is destroyed goes a bit further in making sure that Voldemort will not be able to return from death or near death again...Duh!
and yes both actresses are Brits.

Anonymous said...

Gotta side with Maria on this one. Their eyes are different, their noses are differebt, their eye brows are different, their jawlines are different. Heck, their hair colors are different!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You're nuts dejesus! Helena's eyebrows are different, but the rest is just make up, hair color (when has a woman changed hair color??) and head position. Oh, and the Emma picture is from 20+ years ago. She doesn't look anything like that now. She's actually a little bit scary looking.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh, and actually Maria didn't think Emma and Helena didn't look alike. She just knew Emma Thompson wasn't playing Bellatrix. Clear as mud?

Anonymous said...

I understand that hair color, eyebrows and makeup can be changed easily.

Still, their jawlines, the shape of their noses, and shape of their eyes are also different -- these things can't really be changed without plastic surgery, at the very least.

Also, the picture of Emma (even if 20 years old) makes her look older than Helena!