Sunday, August 26, 2007

"Those kids from Taiwan always kick the snot of us in the Little League World Series."

I'm not sure where that quote came from, but I'm sure I've heard it somewhere. At one point, from 1969-1981, the Taiwanese youngsters won the LLWS 10 out of 13 years (and in 1975 all foreign teams were banned, though the ban was rescinded the following year). Wow. Between 1986 and 1991, they won 5 out of 6. Another great stretch. Since 1998, the Japanese kidz have been first or second 7 times. Holy crap!

Today, the boyz from Warner Robins, Georgia beat the youngsters from Tokyo, Japan in extra innings with a walk-off home run to win the LLWS in Williamsport, PA. It was a pretty exciting game, but ended with one team jumping for joy and the other crying on the grass.

Saturday was a busy day with a softball tournament in Arlington Heights. Because of the large amounts of rain and bad weather, all the games were pushed back and then we started with a 2-2 count, though we were given one courtesy foul without it being a strike out (normally a foul in softball with two strikes is a strike out). There are tournaments that actually only have one pitch: you walk, strike out or put the ball in play. One pitch, that's it.

The day did not go well for us we lost a close game to a team we beat routinely and then lost to our arch rivals, Southside Connection, by the slaughter rule. We just couldn't get it done with the sticks and the opposition didn't seem to have a problem.

On the upside, the short day gave me a chance to make the Bears/49ers game at 7. I called Naperville Greg, who lives very close to the stadium, to see if he could join me (I had already sold my extra set). He couldn't make it because he had to go out with business associates who were in town, but asked if would want to go with his wife, Kleveland Kim. A fantastic idea! KK is a big Browns fan, so I said if she cheers for the Bears she could come along. She did and was great company to have. Everyone in the section liked her and as usual, they prefer to have her there to me. Bastards.

Before and after the game we crashed the tailgate of the guys who sit in front of me (Gar, Darwin, Jason and Russell), though Jason and Russell were replaced by Darwin's wife and her friend. Sorry, I didn't bring the camera. We didn't eat or drink much, but it was fun to hang with them. We played corn-hole too!! I felt like so much white trash, but at least it was an NFL set of bags and the board looked like a football field. Since KK is from Kleveland and throws left handed, it was a foregone conclusion that victory was mine!!

4 comments:

stef said...

This is weird, but I can't believe you know a guy named "Gar". (That's my drummer's name) Is it short for something?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Not to my knowledge stef. I'll ask him though....maybe Garrick?

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to believe that anyone who knows you well would let you out with their wife...especially to the alcohol drenched event that is the Bears game.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I'm appalled and insulted!! It's my buddy's wife for God sake!!