Monday, August 20, 2007

Why is Joe pissed today?

Today I had a charity fund raiser golf outing benefiting the Chicago Youth Programs. A buddy of mine with whom I had done some work at Morningstar, needed me to fill in for someone at his company (Leopardo Construction) who had to back out. Who am I to deny a charity? Ok, I didn't contribute much to the charity in the long run, but I've played in this outing for most of the last five or six years. They really do good work.

Another cool part of the outing is that it's held at Ruffled Feathers Golf Course, where my buddy is the GM. So not only did I get to catch up with my construction friend, who is also in my fantasy football league, but also my golfing GM buddy! It was a two-fer.

So then why am I pissed off? Well, the answer is multi-faceted. First, it rained most of the day while we were golfing until they decided to close the course. About 20 minutes later the sun actually came out. Unbelievable. Being the boyscout that I am (ok, I'm not, but I usually am prepared), I brought a change of clothes except for another pair of shorts or pants. My thinking, and I actually did think about this, was that if it rained so much that my shorts got wet then we wouldn't be playing. Stupid, stupid Joe. Oh well. The shower and MOSTLY dry clothes helped a bit.

Then I got home in time, just barely, to see the start of the Bears game. I also had a bunch of emails to get to though from the day away from the computer. So while watching Rex Grossman fumble three times and throw an interception, I was paging through emails from everyone and their mother. This is where I started to get unhappy. Most of my unhappiness is due to Grossman and Lovie Smith, the Bears coach who refuses to sit Grossman's sorry ass despite tomes of evidence in favor of it. So his performance combined with a guy wanting all these condo documents from me because he is selling his unit, started me on downward spiral.

Next came the realization that our maintenance guy screwed up a relatively easy project because he didn't read the instructions on the box, "I never read the instructions on those things." Dumb ass.

Then I found out that Manual Labor Mike didn't do any of the woodwork today that he was supposed to do. While this was disappointing, it was the reason WHY that was upsetting. He couldn't find a place to saw. That's right. The place he LIKES to saw was unavailable because the maintenance guy was washing the back porch with a hose. So instead of moving to: the boiler room, my downstairs, the front stoop, the laundry room or the yard, MLM just didn't do the wood work. Arrrrrghhhhh.

Four or five more things contributed to my general unpleasantness at the moment, but I'll end on a happy note. Last night I went to the rained out Cubs/Cardinals game with dejesus freak, Naperville Greg and Kleveland Kim. Due to my schedule, I haven't been able to spend nearly enough time with any of them so even though there was a ninety minute rain delay after three innings before the game was called, we sat in the stands, dry, drinking beer and catching up. It was great fun. Also, on the way to the game, a really cute waitress from a local bar was working at a ticket broker when we walked by and remembered me! She called me back after I walked past her having made a comment about cute women being the best marketing ploy ever invented, gave me a nice hug hello!! Guess what bar I'm going to this weekend?

3 comments:

alexis said...

I hope you can keep it up with the question titles to your blogs this week. My guess was going to be more rat problems, actually. Or rain-caused flooding again.

Anonymous said...

I'm still pissed that she remembered you and not me, especially considering that you left early that night and I stuck around.

Do you remember her name yet? ;-)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Still no name dejesus. Might have to do reconnaissance. You think there's any chance in hell that I spelled that word correctly the first time I wrote it?