Thursday, August 30, 2007

Update from yesterday.

Yesterday was a day of extremes for yours truly. At one end of the spectrum I was holding and bouncing a lovely little girl who was less than a year old, and on the other end I was drinking beer after beer with three married guys at the Cubs game. This is my life.

The day started off with an innocuous knocking sound. Well, it couldn't be a knocking sound intended to wake me up, I thought, because anyone who wanted to wake me up would either call or ring the buzzer. Well, I was wrong on many accounts. First, they HAD called not once, but twice. I missed both calls, which took place before 9:00 a.m., which is normally fine. But one of the calls said, "Hey Joe, we're here to do the plumbing work." Damnit, I couldn't even yell at them for not calling!! So my day started a bit rough with the plumbing guys using a jack hammer to dig up a drain and the cement around it. However, while I was showering, work was being done.

For lunch, two women who are cousins and who used to work for me at Morningstar back in the mid-90's were in town, one with her new baby and new (to me) husband and the other with her almost one year old baby. I met them downtown for lunch and caught up on their lives. It was fun and I was "very good" with the one year old baby girl. She was adorable too!! Many pictures were taken so if I get copies I'll post them.

After a much longer than expected lunch and walk around The Bean, I dropped off a package to some bankers for work and then headed home. That's when my drinking day began....about 4:30. It started at a local bar, The Houndstooth, and progressed to the Cubs/Brewers game. My compatriots, more intent on drinking and carousing than I since they are all married, wanted to leave and hit the bars in something like the 5th inning!! I forced them to stay through the 8th and then they would hear no more about staying, plus the Cubs were losing 6-1. On the way out we happened by dejesus freak's seats so I peered over to see if he was there and he was! I stopped to say hey to him and Lurker Brenda and then continued on with my drunken friends.

One of my buddies is from Mokena and loves (LOVES!) to play corn hole, or bags, so he wanted to find a bar that had the game. I told him no bar north of the Congress has bags and that he should also leave his denim shorts at home. Though he found this funny, I think he was also slightly offended because he WAS INDEED going to wear denim shorts! All night he kept saying, "See, look at that guy. He as denim shorts." To which I would counter, "Yeah, and he probably lives in a trailer down by you." To me, denim shorts on guys is like black socks and sandals, you just don't do it.

After unsuccessful efforts to find a bags game in the area, we opted for the next closest thing: sushi. Yeah, weird, I know. We had fun though and dejesus called and joined us half way through the meal. These guys were just done physically and mentally at this point though, so we broke up and headed home. dejesus lives down the street and was sober, so he gave me a ride home.

After getting some water I started on my blog entry and got through the first two paragraphs above. Then I made the tragic mistake of heading over to the sofa to "rest" before continuing to write. Next thing I know, it's 3:00 a.m. My short blog entry received plenty of comments though, so maybe I should indeed keep them more brief!!! Tonight is another tough drinking night with the Bears game and tailgating starting at 4!!!

2 comments:

alexis said...

amen on the shorts joe.

Anonymous said...

And no Ricardo to blame.