Tuesday, August 21, 2007

How did Joe get drunk today?

Yes, it's been a while since I wrote my blog a little tipsy, but here we go! Today, el supremo de NM came back into town which meant client meetings and prepping for other client meetings. Additionally, it meant a "networking" evening at Just Grapes. This month we had about 20 people there from various walks of life. Afterwards el supremo and I considered that the prices per sample were much higher than normal. What was different from last month when we met there? Since we had so many people coming to the event, we thought maybe we should call and let them know so the staff wouldn't be swamped. So did they, with full knowledge that we were coming, jack up the sampling prices? I don't know, but you can bet that next month they won't get a call.

After Just Grapes, we headed to Vivo, a nice little Italian restaurant on Randolph street not far from Just Grapes. Ricardo, el supremo, LiL' Tim and a new acquaintance Portage Park Michelle. We all had a very nice dinner even more wine. The scallops at Vivo were fantastic!! This is day two of four days in a week that LiL' Tim (not unlike LiL'Kim) and I get the pleasure of seeing each other: golf last Friday, tonight, Thursday at a fundraiser and Friday at a golfing fundraiser. Can't get enough of LiL' Tim though.

A special shout out to Ricardo who just had his birthday this weekend!!! I missed it somehow, probably because my life has been so hectic, but I'll find a way to make it up to him. Ricardo is a good man and a great business partner. I'm fortunate to know him!!!

Met Portage Park Michelle tonight who I'm sure is just full of stories, but regaled us with just one tonight about how she was chased by a black bear while camping in British Columbia.
(side note on the black bear entry: Winnie the Pooh was named after a Winnipeg bear an orphaned black bear cub originally from the Canadian city of White River, Ontario. During World War I, the bear was adopted by (then) Lieutenant Harry Colebourn, a member of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles of the Canadian Infantry. It later became the mascot for the company and was moved to London Zoo where it was seen by A. A. Milne and his son.) After running for a distance with the bear still in tow, PPM climbed a tree, even though black bears can climb as well. She got up about 20+ feet when a helicopter came and lowered a ladder to her. Apparently her camping friends had called for help and it arrived just in time. Wow!

The story reminded me of my trip to Alaska with an ex-girlfriend. We saw a wood carved black bear and I mentioned how black bears are relatively harmless and only eat fruits and nuts. The next day in the Anchorage paper was a lead story about how you have to be careful because a black bear can skin a person alive in a matter of minutes. Yowza!! I couldn't have been more wrong. I blame National Geographic!!!

6 comments:

alexis said...

wow, that is so scary. Now I don't want to even go to Ohio for my family reunion next year. There could be dangerous garden gnomes and there are no trees to climb there.

Anonymous said...

Did you notice the CNN.COM story about the Serbian found naked, dead and half eaten in a bear cage at a beer festival? Along with the half man inside the cage was found his clothes, some bricks a few cell phones and some empty beer cans...moral of the story? Bears make mean drunks...

stef said...

Holy crap! i think the moral of that story is: Don't go camping. At least, that's what it is for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bee, you couldn't possibly know this but Portage Park Michelle is Croatian...I wonder if it is completely by coincidence that the man in the cage was SERBIAN!

And I love the 'lil Tim to 'lil Kim vision. I would never be able to look at Tim the same way again.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Any time I look at Lil'Tim, all I see is cleavage.

That's an awesome story bee. Thanks for sharing.

Stef, I'm with you, no camping. Give me a motel 6, that's as close to camping as I want to get.

Apparently there are indeed black bears in Ohio Alexis, so be careful!!

alexis said...

I'm also with stef then Joe, moral: no camping