Monday, March 19, 2007

What a Great Day!!

Some days are just da'bomb. Today was one of those days for me. Granted, I didn't do a ton of work, but other things went great!

First, the weather took a turn for the warmer which automatically puts the day ahead of most days so far this year. Going down to Starbucks was pleasant again.

Then I sent emails to two women with whom I had bad dates and they accepted my rejection without getting all nasty. Always a positive. It's nice when women act like adults....it's so rare.

After that good response, I had a meeting with the Red Cross's finance committee to discuss the budget for next year. The meeting went well (you'll be happy to know we're doing some great things in Chicago at least) AND they provided lunch: meatball sandwiches and cheese ravioli. I opted for just two meatballs and one ravioli (they all were bigger than normal). It was great.

A quick drive home and then off to the gym for an unscheduled workout (normally I go Tuesday and Thursday when Ricardo goes). After putting in 25 minutes on the treadmill (including four thirty second sprints and a five minute cool down) I saw a woman that I went to high school with who I think is really cute, and we talked for about ten minutes. Even though I know she's not interested, it was nice to see her again.

Finally, I headed back home to start on dinner, which tonight was to include plantains. About ten days ago I bought two plantains and they have finally ripened. A plantain is ripe when the skin turns black, that's when it's the sweetest. It's been about a year since I last made them and while foodies might think it's easy, nothing is easy for me. However, they turned out fantastic!! Yay for me!! Below is the recipe:


Ripe Plantain Dessert

2 ripe plantains
¼ cup butter (or a little less if you prefer)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup cooking wine (sherry)
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Peel the plantains and cut them in half and then cut those in half lengthwise. Sautee the eight pieces in the butter. When done, add the other ingredients and simmer over medium (or lower) heat covered for roughly 15 minutes. Serve warm with the sauce with the main meal or as a dessert either by itself or over ice cream.

You can save any extras in the refrigerator for up to five days (so I hear). Microwave them before serving.
One last thing, if you missed it this weekend, watch for two one hour shows on The National Geographic Channel called Galapagos. They play again at 7 and 8 p.m. on Thursday. These shows, especially on a 50" plasma, are awesome nature shows which not only have great footage of current animals, but they provide a historical context for the islands as well including Charles Darwin's history shaping visit.

4 comments:

stef said...

If you thought you could just leave that comment about women acting like adults out there without receiveing a reaction, you are wrong.
Also, those plantains sound good.

Anonymous said...

two...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Just making sure the women in the audience are still reading Stef.
:-) But then again, you're one of the taken ones, so it's not really directed at you. Maybe I should have said "single women".

alexis said...

the plantains do sound good! I'll refrain from the women-adults comment. Don't want to start overseas debate!