Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Paddy's Day is a plot by the English to weed out the Irish!!

Once again I prove to the world that drinking and blogging are NOT good things. While my post from Friday night/Saturday morning wasn't too embarrassing, I probably wouldn't have written it in the light of day. Yet another instance where one of my inventions (a breathalyzer that is required to turn on your computer) would come in handy.

So on the heels of drinking too much wine on Friday, I opted to drink too much beer on Saturday. My buddy Rich and his wife kindly invited me to join their friends, Fred and Jen, and others at a bar downtown. Though it was snowing at times in the morning, some folks in the group (ok, only the women) wanted to go to see the parade for just "ten minutes".

Some background about Joe: 1) I hate parades. When I was 10 or 11, I was forced to march in a Memorial Day parade when the temperature was about 40 and it was raining. Worst two hours of my life and to this day I hate parades. 2) Standing in lines to pay a cover charge is close behind on the list of things that bug me. (so the count is up to four things that piss me off if you include falsely accusing me of something and hypocrites).

Back to yesterday: we all left Logan Square and headed by train down to check out what bar we could get into and some of the group were going to watch the parade for "ten minutes". Well, that's too long for me so I headed for the first bar that I could get into (The Boss) and I found a willing accomplice in Fred who had no love lost for cold weather parades either. After an hour or two on our own in the bar, Rich came back to get us to tell us they were at a bar down the street. After we finished our beers, we headed down only to find that there was a thirty minute line and a $15 cover charge. Ugh. To top it off, just before we got in, I was called by an eHarmony date, who I hadn't met before, who wanted to come by and meet in person. Unfortunately she showed up about five minutes after Fred got in, so I had to wait outside in line AGAIN for another thirty minutes with the prospective date.

When we finally got in (and paid the cover charge) I was a big baby about the whole thing and took it out on Rich since he wouldn't relocate the now ten people he had collected, to the bar Fred and I were at. In retrospect, another word for "cat" is probably more appropriate. Fortunately I was able to apologize to Rich and Jodi today and I think they understand that part of my problem was the disappointment with my eHarmony prospect not to mention the alcohol.

By the way, pizza, hamburgers and drinking beer for over 12 hours is NOT the way to lose weight. I'm not weighing myself until Tuesday because I don't want to see what damage was done.

Did you see The Pussycat Dolls skit on SNL yesterday? Ha! I'm ahead of the curve. See, read my blog and you'll be hip! Hopefully you didn't miss the new episode of Robin Hood on BBC America. Another great show. The character development is really intriguing. Robin Hood is not just a guy that robs from the rich and gives to the poor. Like any human, he has an ego. He wants to be loved by the people he's helping. It's pretty interesting.

Yet another blog entry without ANY mention of Tank Johnson going to jail or stupid moves by the Bears. Soon I'm sure though.

7 comments:

alexis said...

you're a trooper - St. Patrick's day essentially means cold weather, covers, and waiting in line. Stupidest day of the year to go out, except NYE.

Anonymous said...

and so on Monday, the countdown begins...three...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yeah, but Paddy's day is fun too Alexis! Especially since there's less smoking than ever before.

Anonymous said...

This is all a very confusing story, Joe, and it doesn't answer the main question:

Did Rich pay you the $15 he now owes you?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Well, it made sense while I was writing it! And no, I would never ask for that money and in fact I apologized for being such a baby. I'm working on not being such a puss in the future.

Anonymous said...

It was a joke, Joe, and I thought it was a funny one at that. I guess not.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It was dejesus! I was just a little sensitive since I was such a baby about the whole day.