Thursday, March 29, 2007

Not the Best Day

Today I attended the funeral of a friend's father out in the suburbs. I don't often attend funerals, fortunately I haven't had too much of a need. UNfortunately, when I do, I don't have the tolerance built up from an emotional standpoint to last very long. The part that always gets me, if it happens, is when a family member gets up in front of everyone and relates heart warming stories regarding the deceased's life. That pretty much does me in. Sadly, I don't even have to really know the people well (or at all!) for me to break down. And yes, I've gone to funerals for people I don't know as while currently single, I have dated women (and been married) in the past!! Don't tell anyone....I'm a big softy.

6 comments:

stef said...

I've only been to one funeral and a wake (both not for people I knew terribly well) but they were definitely emotionally wrenching. (i'll keep your secret under wraps!)

Anonymous said...

Yes your secret is safe - now that it is in the blogosphere for the entire known electronically connected universe to read. Fortuantely there are at least 15 non-English literate computer users in Uzbekistan who will be in the dark.

Anonymous said...

...and now you understand my request...when I die, i want to be proped up in a corner of a pub with a drink in my hand and a smile on my face, when the wake is over and all are drunk, you all can simply set the pub alight...I want to be cremated anyway. Sorry that its so hard on you, sweetie...we never had to do that much growing up so we are fairly stunted in that department.

alexis said...

oh my god- bee, whoever you are, you are my hero.

It's never easy to see people confronted with mortality. I get really emotional watching fake reinactments of it on tv

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thanks for all the nice thoughts folks. It is hard and I tend to put myself in the relatives shoes, which then makes me think about my parents mortality and THAT is unthinkable.

Bee, you have it right I think. I'll go on record as preferring that as well. No lame funeral parlors for me!! I don't think I want the bar burned down though, seems like the waste of a good bar!!

Anonymous said...

I can't take it with me? Well, then don't burn the bar, the dumpster out back will do...bring marshmallows!