Friday, March 09, 2007

Clean Sheets

Happy Friday all!! Actually had a pretty busy work day today, but that's good. However, it means many of you won't even read this post until Monday if at all. No sweat though. That leads me into one of my topics: Why do I write a blog?

Well, to tell you the truth, I enjoy writing and trying to come up with interesting topics on a daily basis. Granted, I know any mention of sports automatically tunes out 90% of you, but without it, what would dejesus freak comment on? Would he ever read? :-) Actually, sports is a big part of my life, so naturally I gravitate towards interesting stories in that area. Anyway, writing is kind of fun for me and hasn't always come easy, which is possibly why I find it satisfying.

So I read a story on gas prices which I found interesting. The price of a liter of gas in Iran is $.08. That's not surprising or terribly interesting is it? Well, it turns out the price is subsidized by the government and they are not only going to kick the price up to $.10 a liter, but previously citizens could buy unlimited quantities at that price. Now the government is going to limit the amount of subsidized gas an individual can buy through a card that tracks their consumption. Turns out the government spent $4.7 billion (yes billion!!) to IMPORT refined oil from neighboring countries. Amazing. Because of the cheap price, they have to import 30 million liters of refined oil a day. A DAY!! It's crazy.

Look back up at the title again: Clean Sheets. Doesn't that just give you a nice feeling all over? I did laundry the other day (as I usually do after el supremo de nm leaves town.....sort of a fumigation process) and did my bed sheets as well. I tell you, I was looking forward to going to bed even more than usual!

Finally, further updates on the fiasco that is the Bears offseason. We did indeed lose two of our back up safeties and best special teams players: Todd Johnson and Cameron Worrell. Ugh. Add them to the list of losses along with players we didn't acquire, like Dominic Rhodes, RB for Indy and Willis McGahee, RB for Buffalo who was traded for a 3rd round and 7th round pick this year and a 3rd round pick next year, providing further evidence of how badly the Bears were pantsed by the Jets in the Jones deal. Randy McMichael, TE, just signed elsewhere as well, so there goes another quality tight end. Nice job Angelo. Are you going to pick ANYONE up or just rely on Grossman and Benson next year? Ass-munch.

Jeff Garcia QB, Brad Johnson, QB Trent Green QB
Kyle Brady TE, Daniel Graham TE, Randy McMichael TE
Ahman Green RB, Dominic Rhodes RB, Willis McGahee RB
Joey Porter LB (for as much money as Briggs is balking at!), Adalius Thomas OLB

Lost: Jones RB, Todd Johnson S, Cameron Worrell S

Nice to have pickups: Jake Plummer QB, Travis Henry RB, Brandon Stokely WR, Rueben Droughns RB

I added these last two categories because they may end up being significant as well. The first class are players definitely better than what we have currently. The second is self-explanatory and the third is players who could have easily competed for a starting job and might have won. Obviously the last class is a little more iffy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd still follow your blog if you didn't mention sports, Joe. It would just be a lot more boring because we wouldn't have as much to argue about.

To that end -- Brad Johnson? Is he still playing? Why not just mention Dan Pastorini while you're at it. :-) Jeff Garcia and IU alum Trent Green are better than Grossman, but it wouldn't surprise me if both retire within the next 2-3 years.

Anonymous said...

Fumigate my foot. The only thing you try to get rid of is the vibes of working!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You're right about those guys being gone in a few years dejesus. I'm not so certain that Grossman won't be too, but I'd rather have them NEXT year, of course I'd rather start Griese too...or even his dad!

That might have been a poor choice of words el supremo. My bad!