Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Unconditional Love?

Hmmmm, wonder where Joe is going with this one. Has he gone soft? That's what she said, but I digress. This story is actually from last week, but it happened just before the trip to Vegas, so I didn't have time to write about.....plus I'm not really sure what to think about the whole thing.

So last Wednesday morning I go down to Starbucks per usual to get my morning coffee. Since the weather has become very wintry, I was hunkered down with a big scarf, my Wallaroo hat and my "McCloud" coat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCloud_%28TV_series%29 The point being that I wasn't the most approachable of people in that look......or maybe I was, but I wouldn't think so. The baristas at Starbucks aren't fans of the look because they feel I'm "trying to hard" for the cowboy look. Yeah, that's what I want, look like someone out of Brokeback Mountain in my freaking neighborhood. No thanks. It's a coat and hat that I like and they go well together.

After visiting Starbucks and catching my usual abuse, I headed to the video store to return "Crank", which should be watched by no person......stupid, stupid movie. Or maybe it was just the acting. Some of the filming methods employed were actually good and they seemed to carry the movie. Though I guess the story itself seems appealing, but the movie just didn't work overall.

On my way to the video store, I came upon a woman coming out of the garage parking. She came up in front of me and was carrying a little, shiny red gift bag (you know the kind that you give birthday gifts in when you don't want to wrap them?). So she comes up to me and says, "Please take this token of unconditional love." I've stopped at this point and I look at the bag and then into her eyes and she gives me a little wink and a nod as if to say, "Go ahead, take it. You're a nice guy." And take it I did, saying thank you as I departed. At the video store I opened the bag to find a little potted plant and a little head piece with hearts on springs so when you wear it, they bobble around.

One of my favorite things is to just do something nice for someone who I either don't know or do know but who is not expecting anything. For instance, I've helped push many strangers' cars out of snow banks, given them jumps to start their car, bought them coffee and once even bought a couple their dinner. That stuff is just fun for me. So when this woman gave me this bag, I could really appreciate it. The plant is blooming in my kitchen and the head piece, well, I really don't have much use for it at this point, but who knows? It's the thought that counts right?

1 comment:

alexis said...

that is really nice! I also find it amusing that you and the Starbucks folks are on wardrobe-critique speaking terms. One of these days I'm reporting you to Starbucks- guaranteed they will make a commercial out of this.