Monday, January 15, 2007

Happy MLK Day and maybe I am Nostradamus

Hopefully you'll take a minute today to reflect on the life and times and influences of the late Dr. Martin Luther King. One of his more popularized moments is his "I have a dream" speech. You can't really help but getting pumped up while even reading his speech, much less actually listening to it. Here's a link that provides both for your viewing and listening pleasure. Take a moment today to relive the part of that day in August of 1963.
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

The results are in from the weekend and I went 3-1 on my predictions for the NFL games, though the wins could have easily gone either way. The Bears played ok, but the defense was more like a sieve than a wall. A 49 yard field goal, with the wind, in overtime proved to be the winning play. Fortunately I was celebrating in the parking lot outside Soldier Field, so I didn't get to see the Patriots Chargers game except for the last 10 minutes or so. From what I've heard and read though, the Chargers pretty much handed them the game (or at least the opportunity to win the game) with dropped passes and dumb plays.

So in the two weeks of playoffs, I'm 7-1 and still haven't made a nickel off of it. As Napoleon Dynamite would say, "Idiot!"

The tailgate went very well and we ended up being just a few cars away from the four guys who sit in front of me at the game. The food was tasty and Mr. Heater was up and running full blast. The chipotle cheddar cheese on the egg sandwiches was a big hit! The whole morning would have gone without a hitch at all if one of my guests actually showed up on time instead of 20 minutes late. I was this close (imagine me with my index finger and thumb about a half inch apart) to leaving without him and making him take a cab to the game. But I shook it off and played on, in part with the help of my ex-gal who I invited to sit in the section with me. My other two tickets were sold to guys on my softball team who had gone to many of the games during the season. A good time was had by all and we spent a good two hours in the parking lot after the game continuing the celebration. You just can't beat fun at the ol'ballpark.

Next week the game is at 2 on Sunday, which means if we leave at 9 again and arrive at 9:30, it'll be 4 1/2 hours of tailgating before the game even starts!!! That would be awesome. It's a little early to get pumped though, especially since I'm still exhausted from yesterday. By the way, to Ken in NJ, I was barely able to talk today from yelling so much yesterday. Fortunately, they were cheers of celebration.

2 comments:

alexis said...

Wow, sounds like an awesome time. There are indeed few things sweeter than when your team (go Sox!) has an unexpectedly brilliant game.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I was just talking to someone about the game today and the mood in the stadium was completely different than the last five games, when we were basically waiting for the next blunder by someone. This time it felt like if we messed up, we'd overcome it. Still, got a bit hairy at the end.