Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Maybe the Seahawks brought the Avian Flu into town

....at least that's how I feel today. Somehow, Thursday or Friday, I must have picked up a bug but was successfully fighting it off until Sunday night. Yesterday I woke up not feeling well and by the end of the day it was lights out for Joe. Ugh. Fortunately, I was able to sleep, but only about an hour or so at a time.

Many topics to talk about and my mind isn't sharp, so I'll just throw them out there and see what sticks on the wall.

While driving around listening to my AM sports radio stations, I sometimes flip over to WBBM, "all news all the time" just to catch up on the rest of the world outside of sports (I hear one exists). Lately I've noticed that they say they are "Now broadcasting in HD!" What? High definition RADIO? What the hell does that even mean? So where do we go when we have a question class? Buehler? Buehler? Buehler? That's right, Wikipedia. It's a pretty interesting piece, so in honor of Learning Tuesday, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd_radio
Last night, even though sick, I went to a little presentation from the Lund Company, a toy designing firm who are the brains behind the 10 generations of Tickle Me Elmo and "Baby goes Boom" (which does not in fact, blow up, it just falls down and gets back up). Pretty interesting stuff. They only have like nine employees half of which are designers and they turn out about 50-100 new toy prototypes every year. Only about 15 get pitched to and picked up by companies. If one of them hits though.......kaboom!
Saw a stat yesterday on television that a single woman at age 40 has a greater chance of being a victim of terrorism than of getting married. Now, I'm not sure I believe that entirely, but what if it's true?! I'll have to do some more research.......

As a sports fan, I tend to be a little over critical of my favorite teams. I would venture to guess that most sports fans are probably the same way. Even now that the Bears are in the playoffs and doing "well", however you want to define it, I tend to turn a critical eye to the porous defense and basically rookie QB. However, the last time I looked, they don't award style points for football games....."the other team outscored you by 10, but you looked good running the ball so we'll give you an additional 11 points, so you really won." Nope, doesn't happen. The final score is an absolute, whether we like it or not. But if we play poorly and win, I'm definitely not happy. Why not? Especially when the team is in the playoffs with home field advantage and one win away from the Super Bowl. Shouldn't I just live in the moment and be happy the team is doing well and I have something to do on a Sunday afternoon in late January other than watch OTHER people's teams playing? I think I should. So I'm making a conscious effort to just be happy about the W and cheer them on Sunday so maybe they can get another one. If it doesn't work, well, it was a good season. Maybe next year right? God knows we Cubs fans have said that enough over the years!

2 comments:

alexis said...

perhaps all the standing outside in the cold tailgating is the source of your illness? Just a thought. :)

That statistic on getting married later sounds like total ass-garbage made up by a dating company.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You're right about the ass-garbage stat probably on second thought. I wish I could remember where I saw it so I could query them.