Friday, January 05, 2007

Friend or no Friend? Here's a strong test.

As you know I've purchased a big-ass television with HD capability, yet I have no HD signal reception ability. The odd thing is, my television viewing experience has declined (except for one glorious football game in HD) because all of the non-HD programming becomes so much more apparent on a bigger screen. Anyway, in order to take advantage of the HD functionality, I need to get a new dish and a new receiver. Both were ordered last week from DirectTV.

They said, "We have an opening on the 8th."
Joe said, "Well that doesn't work well for me. What else do you have?"
"February 15th."
"OK, the 8th it is." Unfortunately, I really am working during the installation time, so I needed to find someone to house sit for me. That person is my buddy Rich. Is there a better test of a friend than sitting in a house for a four hour window waiting for the cable guy? It's certainly one of the better ones.

If you didn't see this article, take a gander. It's pretty cool and it directly ties in with a similar invention that I thought of for your computer. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070103/ap_on_hi_te/japan_toyota_drunken_driving
Imagine, you have to blow into a breathalyzer before your computer will start! That would be awesome, at least for us single folks. No more 2 a.m. drunken emails to ex-girlfriends or people that stood you up on a date or co-workers or bosses. I'm telling you, it's a gold mine!!

Here's another "how does Joe get through the day?" story. Wednesday I came home from the office and my new caller i.d. said that someone called but there was no message. What follows are my thoughts over the next few minutes:

"Let's take a look at the number.....773-540-!@#@.....hmmmm, who is that? Let me grab the phone and give it a call. Oh shit, my cell phone is ringing. Hang up the handset and grab the cell. Damn, just missed the call. Isn't that the way? The bastards hung up. Let's see who called."

Yep, you guessed it. I was calling myself. Unbelievable. I didn't even recognize my own cell phone number!! How retarded do you have to be to have that happen? Ugh.

4 comments:

Bee said...

Don't blame you feeble mind on the retarded, how insensitive...oop, did I say that out loud? Sorry, i'm kinda ornery today, you of course know why, FREAKIN BILL COWHER leaving my boys high and dry, SON of a B*, besides the whole job thing, *whine* *grump*...

Anonymous said...

That car is a pretty good idea, but will pretty annoying when you go to a party and have 2 drinks over a 4 hour period and feel completely sober, yet fail the test.

Not that it wouldn't be a good warning that you're a DWI risk (or that perhaps you shouldn't drive), but it would still tick you off nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why you would remember your cell phone number. Everyone who knows you also knows that you shun it like the plague. So why would you give it the respect to remember its number?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Remembering my cell number is a constant battle. It used to be 315-joes. That was perfect! So easy. I'm going to have to get a new phone and change the number.

dejesus, you're right and I probably wouldn't be able to drive half of the weekend nights.

Bee the Steelers have had two coaches since 1969! Do you know how many the Bears have had over that time? 8 and that includes Da Coach for 11 years. You've got nothing to complain about.