Saturday, January 20, 2007

A small town mayor

First things first: I've waffled on the Patriots pick over the Colts. Home field, four problem Patriots, all the talk of Peyton doing it this year or forget about him ever getting to the Super Bowl, a resurgent Colts defense, it's just all too much. I'm taking the Colts. Sticking with the Bears though.

If you recall, in an earlier entry, I broiled something on a cookie sheet and it pretty much destroyed the pan.....as everyone else but me would have expected. Since I'm not a particularly easy guy to buy presents for, I held off replacing it until after Christmas. Today I waited no more and bought a kick-ass one, at least to the novice baker. A seemingly small event, but with appetizers to make for the Bears game, it's already been put through its paces and performed outstandingly.

The Mayor of Chicago......Richard Daley.....a busy man with important issues to consider: Chicago was rated as "unprepared" to handle a major catastrophic event. Winter has set in, finally, and roads need to be salted and streets need to be plowed. The recycling program is getting completely overhauled. The Aldermen have gone nuts and banned everything from smoking to foie gras. And Richie is pissed. Why? Because the parking lot managers at Soldier Field raised the parking fee for the Bears games from $35 to $60. How awesome is that? The dude has all this other crap to worry about, but he comes down like a hammer on these clowns. Sure, they got away with it for the first game, but after Richie found out about it, the raping was over. Nice. It's like having a small town mayor for a city of 3 million!

Finally, the cold weather and my illness has given a rebirth to a long since forgotten household item: my electric blanket. One of the wonderful byproducts of women is their wonderful ability to basically heat an entire room at night, or at least it seems like it. All I needed though was a warm bed and the women previously in my life had provided that (and much more of course!). Now however, I have to rely on less natural means to get the bed warm and my electric blanket was brought out of retirement and has worked like a trooper! Nothing better than a toasty warm bed when you're sick and it's cold as hell outside. Another little thing that makes my day(or night) so much better.

3 comments:

alexis said...

hrm, you're conveniently forgetting that universal anomoly of women's anatomy, the Perpetually Ice Cold Feet. I am female myself and I hate this phenomenon - the rest of your body can be broiling hot save the icy, bone-chilling feet extremities.

Anonymous said...

Another similar nifty device is the electric matress pad. It takes advantage of heat rising so a relatively low setting leads to toasty comfort through the night.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You're right about those feet Alexis. As I recall, most of the women in my life ended up sleeping with socks on, which isn't as sexy or romantic as you might think. Very much worth it to have a warm bed though!

I like that idea el supremo, that makes more sense.