Thursday, January 04, 2007

Day three, a little harder than days one and two

Sooooo much to write about, I'll have to save some for tomorrow.

This morning my alarm went off at 7:30 and I promptly turned it off, not to get up until almost 10! Yikes! I owe my slothfulness to two things: the lower calorie diet and hitting the gym two of the last three days (now three out of four after going today). No, I'm not over doing the diet thing. It's just the circumstances of the week that allowed me to go to the gym. Anyway, I'm a little lethargic and the workout today wasn't as good as I had hoped, but I think it's just a temporary adjustment that my body is making.

New year's resolutions never work for me, but this year I decided to make a few. They are as follows:
1) Take a vacation somewhere warm this year (haven't done this in a couple of years).
2) Obtain my F.O.I.D. (Firearm Owner's ID).
3) Find a good money market account.
4) Lose this 10-12 pounds that I've gained over the last two years.

So I've started on #4 and yesterday I took big steps towards #2 and #3. Completing #1 is in the works as well with a trip to Turk and Caicos possibly in February with my buddy Ken from NJ.

Now why get a FOID you ask? Most people know that I don't carry a gun nor do I have one in the house. However, after the Tank Johnson incident(http://www.topix.net/content/cbs/3606928318161409422029692938293047237041), I decided better safe than sorry plus it allows me to shoot in my own lane at the firing range with my dad as opposed to having to share a lane with him. It's the little things really.......

When I decide which money market account works best for me, I'll let you know. It's not a bad way to store excess cash.

Finally, I thought today would be a good day to release my playoff picks for the weekend. I'm not saying go to Vegas with these, because I'm not betting against the line, but I'm documenting my thoughts on the winners. Here we go:

First up, Chiefs at the Colts. Many thoughts here. Colts can't stop the run and KC has the number two back in all of football (Larry Johnson), so everyone is saying the Chiefs are going to dominate and this is the favorite upset of the week pick. I don't believe it for a few reasons. First, KC sucks on the road and Indy is no picnic for the opposition. Second, the game isn't about LJ, it's about Peyton. The only time Peyton struggles is against 3-4 defenses (three linemen and four linebackers). He struggles because he doesn't know where the blitzer is going to come from unless the defense tips him off early. KC plays a 4-3 so Peyton is going to eat them up.

Second, Cowboys at the Seahawks. I refuse to believe how little respect the Seahawks are getting in this one. Solid RB, solid QB, nice TE and good enough defense. The Cowboys have a QB who is diddling Carrie Underwood. Which would you be thinking about: Carrie or the game? 'Nuff said. Seahawks could kill them.

Third, Jets at Patriots. Best game of the group without a doubt. The Patriots have been struggling, but I wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs. Currently the Patriots are favored by 8 1/2. The Jets lost at home in week 2, 24-17, then won in the rain week 10 at NE 17-14. NE didn't have either starting safety in the second game and should have at least one back. Belichek can't stand Mangini because he bailed on NE to take the Jets job. Look for payback, but that spread seems high, especially if the weather isn't nice.

Finally, Giants at Eagles. Philly has won five in a row including thumping NYG 36-22. The NYG have lost six of the last 8. Look for Philly to dominate at home.

Rainy and 52 in Chicago today. Go global warming!!!

3 comments:

alexis said...

Isn't it funny? Everyone in the NL shakes their fist at the abnormally warm weather, but I figure best enjoy the calm before the real shiznit hits the fan.

Take it easy with the diet, man! Don't starve yourself.

Anonymous said...

I've been to the Turks & Caicos, but was at a Club Med the whole time. Good times, nonetheless.

As for the games, I like KC, Seattle, New England, and Philly -- so the only one you'll get right is the Colts game. :-)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

dejesus, that's where we're thinking of going! Club Med. Adults only right?

Don't worry Alexis, my diet is just a means to an end and if it doesn't work in the fashion I want, then I'll eat more.