Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Houston, we have a problem

Taking a break from my European trip to talk about real time events.

Monday night, without my knowledge, my father was admitted into the hospital ER with flu-like symptoms. Tuesday night I found out about it and I'm going to go see him tomorrow. The preliminary diagnosis was some form of pancreatitis. His pancreas enzymes were really high, which is why they kept him overnight initially. Fortunately the level has been dropping steadily so now he's mostly sleeping, so that's good.

Today I hit the gym to work out some of the stress from a router/modem completely shutting down at the office and my dad's condition. The work out was going ok until I got to the bench press. I really struggled with my warm-up weight amount and especially in my left arm. Yep, the muscle basically shut down. If you're not aware of why this happens, it's actually pretty common. If a muscle suffers some kind of trauma, the other muscles around it will shut down in order to prevent further injury. A few years ago I pulled my groin and my thigh muscles just completely shut down so I couldn't run.

Anyway, I'm off to the doctor on Friday morning to have him take a look. Ugh. Not a good week for the Sutton men!!

Tomorrow, on to Amsterdam.

4 comments:

terri said...

It's always rather scary when something goes downhill with a parent's health. Glad to hear your dad is going to be okay.

alexis said...

I will think about you both and hope for betterment next week! Will your Easter plans be effected?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

We'll know more today I think about our Easter plans being impacted. If he comes home today or tomorrow, everything should be fine.

Michael Podolny said...

Hope all goes well with your Dad! Certainly sounds like a rough way to come home from a vacation :(