Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tailgate and Taxes

By now you know the bad news....the Bears lost. They didn't play well which was really frustrating and were down 14-0 at halftime. Even though they won the coin flip, they deferred taking the ball until the second half which I thought was a HUGE mistake and in my opinion ended up costing them game. Seems dramatic? Hear me out:

All week the Packers and their QB, Rodgers, have been planning and scheming about how to make their offense effective against the Bears defense. By deferring, you just give them a chance to put all of that to work with field position and everything in their favor. Plus your defense would have had to face their offense one less time before half. The result? They ran off plays of 20+ yards and 15+ yards on seemingly every play as they marched down field on their opening position to score a touchdown. The margin of victory? One touchdown.

Not only that, the Bears get the ball down 7 points and the pressure is all on their offense. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The Packers offense only scored 7 more points, reinforcing how dumb it was to defer. Ugh.

The tailgate was fun though as we parked next to my buddies, the Punke's (pronounced Punk-ee). There probably ended up being 10-15 people at the tailgate all totaled. Mr. Heater was going in full force providing us a nice break from the chill. Interestingly though when we got to our seats, I ended up not having my coat on until the third quarter when the sun set. It was great to be warm while sitting up there....or standing and screaming.

Last night, just before bed, I realized I missed paying my estimated tax payment. Crap. Not sure how big of a penalty or fine I'll get, but it was supposed to be postmarked by last Monday and it completely slipped my mind because of work and the Bears. Oh well. I'll send it off tomorrow and I'm sure they'll fine me something for the week. Sucks, but what can you do? Actually, if I could finish my taxes and file them before 1/31, I wouldn't have to make an estimated payment in January. That's not going to happen though. This is only the second time I've missed a payment in probably 8 years.

Because I was thinking about the taxes before bed, I ended up having these very frustrating dreams. One was in a resort in Mexico and I couldn't find my room amongst the thousands of rooms. It's a dream I've had before and I hate it!! There was another dream that was similar in nature, but I don't remember it. Just a frustrating 24 hours overall.

2 comments:

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

Does a knee down (by the Packers at the end of the first half) count as an extra possession? ... But I agree that the Bears should have elected to receive.

el supremo de nm said...

I used to have all kinds frustration dreams. But I learned that I could actually recognize them in my sleep and thereby stop them.